WHAT am I doing wrong?? SO discouraged...

Options
2»

Replies

• LemonCitron
    LemonCitron Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. Im in pretty much the same boat. But I have to say I do feel better overall, I have more energy, and its easier to do workouts etc. I just try to focus on the positive, even if its not much. At least your losing, not just staying the same or gaining. Im sorry, I know im not alot of help. Im just curious to see what adivce you recieve as well. Best of Luck!!

Thanks :) It somewhat helps to know that there are other people like me out there. What you are saying is what my boyfriend says too. And you both are right. It's just hard :)
  • LemonCitron
    Options
    We are in the exact same boat! I am also 5'3" and weigh 139.5. In 8 weeks I am down 3 lousy pounds. I too am eating 1200 calories a day, working out daily (alt. between c25k and the shred, bike on weekends and teach ballroom at night). Then two weeks ago I started zig zagging (or cycling) my calories between 1200 and 1600 since I was told I was eating too little. I eased up on carbs and sugar... still nothing. I haven't measured yet, but my jeans still feel just as tight!

WTH??? Our bodies suck! LOL. I haven't really measured either but yeah, everything feels just as tight!! :(
  • LemonCitron
    Options
    Taking a look at your diary....

You are eating maybe one serving of vegetables a day. Eating healthfully is NOT just about eating X amount of calories-- it's about eating quality calories.

You seem to be eating a lot of processed, low-quality calories-- the instant oatmeal, cheerios, flavored yogurt, slurpee, etc etc.
    Even if they seem like they are "healthy," they are really just empty calories that can really derail your progress.

Try replacing these things with whole grains (ie, Steel cut oats in lieu of the oatmeal/cereal) and non processed foods (like plain nonfat yogurt flavored with cinnamon instead of the flavored yogurt, grilled chicken breast instead of the turkey), and add at LEAST three servings of vegetables to each lunch and dinner, and I bet you'll see results immediately :)

That was a bad week for me. I usually eat at least 3-4 veggies a day and about 2 fruit. And I'm really upset about the oats thing, because that's what someone told me to buy and I went and got the HUGE value pack at Costco. Dammit!! LOL.

And I'm so confused about the whole grains thing. I'm eating 'whole grain' cheerios and the bread I eat is whole grains. And I thought those oats were good too.Ugh. I don't even know. I'm so confused...
  • LemonCitron
    Options
    Check out this topic:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113609-relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner

There is A LOT of useful information for those of us who don't have *that much* weight to lose.

After I read it, I stepped up my weight training, starting eating more (a LOT of protein) and only a few weeks later, I'm fitting in pants that were too tight before.

Also, you'll discover this if you read the thread, that the scales can be tricky for light people- a couple pounds in water weight and thats it- our motivation goes out the window. I kicked my scale under my bed to die a lonely death. From now on I'm measuring my progress with pictures.

Good luck!

LOL. This is encouraging. I will check out that thread. There is so much different advice, it's so confusing!! :D
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I kn how you feel! However I gained weight but lost inches... try measuring... :)
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    ok - so I looked through your diary, couple of comments:

1. How are you getting your calories burned? Do you wear HRM? I am wondering if this is accurate - because your daily calories are very close to your totals...maybe you are not burning as much as you think you are??
    2. Do you drink your water? I don't see it logged - this can help alot to curb your appetite, sped up your metabolism, etc.
    3. You should start to track sugar - I am wondering if it is high - due to candy, etc?
    4. Maybe try calorie cycling? I have heard pep on here say it works for them...

Little perplexing I must admit.....

I just bought a Polar 6 last week. So now when I log my cals that's why the HRM is telling me. Oh, I altered those totals to match what I am doing. Was I not supposed to? lol.

I drink about 5-6 glasses a day. I know, not enough...

For some reason my sugars are always really high. I don't always eat candy. This past weekend I kind of went over board. But most of my sugars are from yogurt, fruit and frozen yogurt/sorbet treats.

What is calorie cycling? Is that where you vary your cals?

You are doing it correct with the HRM then (and yes you should change it)...btw - do you like the Polar 6? I have tried a couple and did not find they seemed accurate..

You are rigth on the water - up to at least 8

Add your sugar to your counter (remove carbs maybe for now) to see if you can see a trend..

Yes Calorie cycling is reducing calories one day, increase the next..but your weekly total is still the same....

Good luck - and feel free to add me as a friend if your looking some support, etc :)
  • LemonCitron
    Options
    ok - so I looked through your diary, couple of comments:

1. How are you getting your calories burned? Do you wear HRM? I am wondering if this is accurate - because your daily calories are very close to your totals...maybe you are not burning as much as you think you are??
    2. Do you drink your water? I don't see it logged - this can help alot to curb your appetite, sped up your metabolism, etc.
    3. You should start to track sugar - I am wondering if it is high - due to candy, etc?
    4. Maybe try calorie cycling? I have heard pep on here say it works for them...

Little perplexing I must admit.....

I just bought a Polar 6 last week. So now when I log my cals that's why the HRM is telling me. Oh, I altered those totals to match what I am doing. Was I not supposed to? lol.

I drink about 5-6 glasses a day. I know, not enough...

For some reason my sugars are always really high. I don't always eat candy. This past weekend I kind of went over board. But most of my sugars are from yogurt, fruit and frozen yogurt/sorbet treats.

What is calorie cycling? Is that where you vary your cals?

You are doing it correct with the HRM then (and yes you should change it)...btw - do you like the Polar 6? I have tried a couple and did not find they seemed accurate..

You are rigth on the water - up to at least 8

Add your sugar to your counter (remove carbs maybe for now) to see if you can see a trend..

Yes Calorie cycling is reducing calories one day, increase the next..but your weekly total is still the same....

Good luck - and feel free to add me as a friend if your looking some support, etc :)

I do like the Polar F6. I have no idea how accurate it is though. I'm trusting it to be! lol.

I'm really going to try more on the water part.

I know I need to eat less sugar. Man that is going to be hard!!

I will add you, thanks!
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    "And I'm so confused about the whole grains thing. I'm eating 'whole grain' cheerios and the bread I eat is whole grains. And I thought those oats were good too.Ugh. I don't even know. I'm so confused..."

Okay so here's the run down on whole grains. There are refined grains (white flour, has very little to no nutritional value) and then there are 100% whole grains, which are very good for you.

Food companies are allowed to combine say, 95% of white flour with 5% whole wheat flour and say it's "whole grain"-- which in actuality, there is very little nutritional value in that food since it contains very little whole grain.

When you look at the ingredients, look for ONLY. I REPEAT ONLY. The words, "Whole grains, Whole Oats, Whole Wheat Bran, Whole Oat Flour, etc. If it says "Enriched Oat Four" or "Enriched Wheat Flour"--- that is NOT whole grain.

An easier way to determine whether a product is to look at its fiber content. One serving of the product should have 4g of fiber or more.

Hope this helps!
  • hippiechel
    hippiechel Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    bump. having similar problems. i stopped working out this past week cos i just feel so discouraged! i used to eat A LOT of junk, 2000-3000 calories no problem but now i feel like i am eating so much less but the weight is still not coming off. i did jillian michael's about 3 times a week or so but didn't feel any inches coming off either. once i get well (sick now), i have to start exercising again.

people are welcome to add me/give me advice/look at my diary. i know i don't eat good a lot of the times but this is WAY better than what i was eating last year.