Did not handle my first compliment very well

Options
daddyratty
daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
While Skyping the inlaws the other day they commented on how they could notice my weight loss (15 on MFP, 35 since last August) ... I made some self-deprecating comments about the camera taking away a few or something like that. It was not a very gracious way to handle the compliments that I so enjoy and appreciate and are so motivating. In fact, my wife was right there and was a little perturbed at my response. Rightly so ...

I'll be ready for a better response next time.

Replies

• godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    it has taken me a while but now i say 'thanks! i've been working hard! ...sooo, how is *fill-in-the-blank* going?' :) simple acknowledgement and then change the subject.
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Mrs_McFadden Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Yeah- just say a simple thank you next time! :) Sometimes if getting into a subject like that gives you anxiety or churns up a lot of emotions its safest to just address it simply and then ponder it later :)
  • georgiagorwell
    Options
    I was at a meal with my boyfriends family when his elderly gran loudly said (we were sat about 5 people apart) "you've lost weight, you looked fatter last time I saw you". I just said "Thank you, I have been trying"....
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Oh god, I know how you feel. I used to have the worst habit of putting myself down after anyone gave me a compliment. It still makes me incredibly uncomfortable, but I've learned to just smile and say thanks......then usually quickly change the subject or compliment them back in some way.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time accepting compliments, too. I don't self depreciate, but I do kind of brush them off. "You're looking great!" "Working on it."
    see?
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. I feel awkward saying anything positive. My cousin told me my waist was slimming down and I just kind of shrugged and said "it sure doesnt feel like it, it must be the shirt". I guess we arent used to the compliments yet. After that I had to think about potential responses to anyone that may comment on any lost weight. I usually just use "thx its been tough but im getting there!" or just a simple "thx" depending on the person.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'd say something like "You damn right I look good!!! **insert dance jig or ballet twirl here** I've been on track since August now and working my a*% off!!! Thanks!!!" :bigsmile:
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    Alright people, repeat after me: "Thank you SO much! I feel great! I love your......" Take it graciously, return the favor, and move the conversation along. I realize that none of us are where we want to be, but you've got to enjoy the ride, and expect that people are trying to do that with you.
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I was at a meal with my boyfriends family when his elderly gran loudly said (we were sat about 5 people apart) "you've lost weight, you looked fatter last time I saw you". I just said "Thank you, I have been trying"....

Older people tend to be blunt. My grandparents are like that... my gma refers to one of my bff as "a red head fat gyal" and she is always commenting about peoples weight outloud... so embarassing...
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Usually the default gesture is just a simple form of verbal gratitude, such as "thanks," optionally followed by some form of personal motivated goal and/or a cringed smile...

I stepped up my compliment acceptance with, "I know. I feel a helluva whole lot better now." The casual conceit will generally stop future compliments from coming up. Though, you might be associated with d-baggery with that method. I like it :happy:
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I'd say something like "You damn right I look good!!! **insert dance jig or ballet twirl here** I've been on track since August now and working my a*% off!!! Thanks!!!" :bigsmile:

yeah baby!! This is an awesome response!

I think everyone should be proud of their accomplishments!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I know, it is hard. I got to the point where I could just say, "Thanks!" without mumbling something about how I was trying. Except... I keep adding, "but I have so much further to go". So what? I'm still not going back to where I started!
  • krwtvl02
    krwtvl02 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I can be hard on myself too sometimes. But you have to stop and think. I've been denying myself the foods that I enjoy and those long hours in the gym for what so I can see my weight loss by myself? When someone says "hey are you losing weight? that makes me think, all that work must be paying off and I look and feel good. Smile and say thank you. Of course they are going to want to know how you are doing it. :smile:
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    usually if someone comments on my weight loss like "you look good" or "i can tell you're losing weight" I just say "thanks! I'm trying"

Enough to acknowledge their compliment but not enough to sound like i'm bragging. I've worked to hard to put myself down in order to avoid accepting a compliment. Now if they want to know specifics i'm always happy to share.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    This can indeed be a rather difficult situation. Many of us have been overweight for years and to have anyone even notice your body is mortifying. But try to think of it as a compliment to your dedication and perseverance rather than a compliment to your body. Someone has noticed all that effort you've been expending. Most people are trying to be nice and genuinely don't mean to embarrass you.
  • stephraposo
    stephraposo Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Older people tend to be blunt. My grandparents are like that... my gma refers to one of my bff as "a red head fat gyal" and she is always commenting about peoples weight outloud... so embarassing...

Ya older people lose their inhibitions. I'm starting a 'stage' in an old folks home in a few weeks and the teacher already warned us about that. She's like thin or not they'll call you fat. I'm like great I guess I'm gonna hear it
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!