Strength training weight gain ?

SMJohnson27
SMJohnson27 Posts: 146 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
I am down 20 pounds since January and decided now is the time to start strength training to tone up as well. I have heard that you will gain some weight because muscle weighs more than fat, but was curious about how much of a gain to expect and about how long before I start losing again. I weighed in yesterday and may not weigh in again until the 1st of April, will I see a major gain or be losing again by then? I know it is probably a bit different for everyone, just curious what others have noticed with this.

Replies

• FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Everyone is different. I would encourage you to take measurements and progress pictures as sometimes the numbers don't show what the measuring tape does!
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    When I started doing Pilates I added about 3 pounds. It lasted about 2 weeks. I'm 5'3" and a medium-large frame.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    You probably did not add muscle yet, as muscle takes time to build and is quite difficult if you are in a caloric deficit. Most likely you are experiencing water weight gain. When doing strength training your muscles get micro tears, and they will retain water to protect them and aid in recovery. Once you get use to the workouts your muscles will shed this water.

Try staying off the scale for 3-4 weeks then get back on and you can see your progress.
This discussion has been closed.