For those who are nervous to join a gym

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
I know there are some threads around here that have funny stories of things that happen at the gym, and that makes some people nervous about joining, thinking they're going to be made fun of. I can understand that, since i joined a gym when I weighed 250 lbs.

I just wanted to say that never once in my 5+ years of going to the gym have I ever seen anyone being made fun of by another gym member. On the other hand, I've seen strangers give out compliments to each other at the gym countless times. There have been quite a few times a random gym member walked up to me to tell me that all my hard work looks like it's paying off. I've gone up to other members and told them the same thing.

So don't be nervous about going. People at the gym aren't as scary as they seem. They're actually pretty nice. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I just recently learned this too. I used to be terrified not of the gym but of the classes now I can't get enough of them.
  • VibrantStar
    VibrantStar Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ahh so true. If anything, guys look at you cause you have more junk in the trunk! LOL jk (kinda) Its a pretty safe environment.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Great post! I haven't see anybody being made fun of either. I have seen some interesting looks but it's usually the skinnier people looking at the heavier people in shock at how much they CAN do. Which is a compliment in my book!
  • toots99
    Options
    Great post! I haven't see anybody being made fun of either. I have seen some interesting looks but it's usually the skinnier people looking at the heavier people in shock at how much they CAN do. Which is a compliment in my book!

I agree! It motivates me to show them skinny girls what I can do. :tongue:
  • cheangela
    cheangela Posts: 173
    Options
    haha, I was next to a girl on the elliptical the other day and everytime I cranked up the resistance, she was turning up the dial on hers too :-). She kept up for about 25 minutes or so, gave up and went to shower. 30 minutes later, she came out about the same time I was getting off the machine.... and commented on how she couldn' t keep up with me.

Me: "Oh, that? That was just a warm up."

DD's UNITE!!!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I tend to think that's the original premise of actually joining a gym. For personal reasons of wanting to become active in a setting that is equipped for it. It shouldn't feel like a place to avoid simply because of the people that congregate there. There are *kitten*-hats at church too, and that doesn't stop anyone from going. Why? Because it's a personal choice between them and their religious belief to do so. Same *kitten*, different toilet with going to a gym. Go for yourself, and if there are supportive people there, great. If there are negative people, great. Do your own thing because you want to and because you can.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    I agree.I was over 250+lbs and was afraid everyone was looking at me.On the contrary,people are there to workout.I didn`t have anyone say anything to me.One time I missed judged the seat on one of the machines and slid off,was so embarressed,tried to get up fast,some young guy asked if I was ok.After i was going for awhile,I did get a few compliments about my wt loss.When I don`t go,know due to health restrictions,I do miss it.You`ll do ok.
    good luck!!
  • braungal
    braungal Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree with you all. It is just another support system you can take advantage of.

Recently I have relocated to a smaller town where they have a 24/7 club, which you access with your own card key. There was a free 30 day trial so I thought what did I have to loose. Well the first hurdle going into it was that my fiance decided it wasn't his "thing" so now I was all by myself...going to to this scary place with skinny people.

SO the first time I went I said to myself if anyone is there I am leaving...well I totally received the sign that I was suppose to be there...the place was dark!!! I stayed for 2 hours learned all the machines and thought boy was it ever silly of me to think I could not do this. I enjoy working out before bed so the place is usually slower but it has allowed me to meet a few people...all very supportive.
  • toots99
    Options
    I tend to think that's the original premise of actually joining a gym. For personal reasons of wanting to become active in a setting that is equipped for it. It shouldn't feel like a place to avoid simply because of the people that congregate there. There are *kitten*-hats at church too, and that doesn't stop anyone from going. Why? Because it's a personal choice between them and their religious belief to do so. Same *kitten*, different toilet with going to a gym. Go for yourself, and if there are supportive people there, great. If there are negative people, great. Do your own thing because you want to and because you can.

And that's why you're one of my favorite friends. :drinker:
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!
  • Scarletblue
    Scarletblue Posts: 255
    Options
    I love the gym! and I have tried out a few different ones over the years when my memberships have expired and they were all great experiences people wise.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I love going to the gym but I guess I am what you call a "cardio bunny" lol...

I'm very intimidated by the weight floor at my gym... I'm comfortable on my cardio floor but once I go upstairs I feel like the entire room is staring at me thinking, "Boy she doesn't have a clue, does she?". I'm sure that's not the case but I can understand why people may be nervous. Strength and weight training are new to me so I'm sure after a bit of time, I'll be more comfortable just as I am in cardio land. :laugh:
  • toots99
    Options
    I love going to the gym but I guess I am what you call a "cardio bunny" lol...

I'm very intimidated by the weight floor at my gym... I'm comfortable on my cardio floor but once I go upstairs I feel like the entire room is staring at me thinking, "Boy she doesn't have a clue, does she?". I'm sure that's not the case but I can understand why people may be nervous. Strength and weight training are new to me so I'm sure after a bit of time, I'll be more comfortable just as I am in cardio land. :laugh:

Everyone was new at some point!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

As you are one of mine too, "Chinita!" Lol.
  • toots99
    Options

As you are one of mine too, "Chinita!" Lol.

:laugh: