body shaped crazy!

Options
Okay. So I'm looking at other people's sizes at what weight...

When I was at 238 lbs, I was at a size 18.
I'm 203.8 lbs now, and I am not even in a size 16 yet. How does that work?

I must have a weird shape to my body. I don't think I have ever looked what I weighed since my freshman year in high school.
I noticed some who were 210 lbs and wearing size 22.

When will I ever go down on pants sizes...?

Replies

• LBATL
    LBATL Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, do NOT give up. I had the same problem. I lost a good 30-40 lbs before I went down a pant size and then all of a sudden - BAM! - the sizes started going down at a rapid pace. When the sizes do start going down, buy clothes in moderation :) I have a huge stack of clothes that I wore only a handful of times and they're too big now. Sometimes it just takes time for your body to shrink down I guess.

Also, you cannot compare weight and sizes - they're two totally different things. It has a lot to do with skeletal structure and body fat versus muscle mass. Hang in there and try not to obsess over the sizes. It'll happen for you!!!
  • frannyannemum
    Options
    I am 191lbs and still wearing size 16/18. At my heaviest, I was 215lb and wearing size 22. It really does depend on so many things. I have had two children in three years, so I have wide hips. It also depends on whether you carry a lot of water.

Just keep at it, you will get there soon. Good luck :)
  • cheangela
    cheangela Posts: 173
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and 180 pounds and generally fit into a size 12. My friend Sarah is the same height and weight but she's a size 16. The difference: I have a lower body fat percentage than she does. LIfting weights shrinks what ails you.
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Height is also going to play a role. The taller a person is, the more weight they can carry and look leaner, whereas a shorter person is going to look bigger at the same weight.
  • lovenk
    lovenk Posts: 19
    Options
    Alot dependes on your height, Im 5'8 and 230 wearing a 16 comfortably. Someone shorter at 230 might wear an 18 or 20 and a taller person might be a 12 or 14. :wink:
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I think as sizes go down, there are smaller amounts of weight you have to lose within sizes.

When I was 160 lbs I was in a size 8/10. When I got down to 150 I was wearing about a size 6 in J. Crew. When I went from a size 4 to a 2 in pants it was literally 5 or so lbs in between sizes.
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I can't explain this, but my sister is tall and has lost 20 pounds. She says she has not dropped a pant size yet, but to me she looks a lot slimmer. Clothes sizes are just all over the place. I lost 9 pounds, and my jeans are loose, and my work pants are still too tight. It's weird. Just keep going.
  • kmck045
    kmck045 Posts: 19
    Options
    I find it a bit tricky to figure out pounds as units of weight - we work in kilos - but I know that 6 kilos is a dress size for me at nearly 6 foot tall, whereas my much shorter mate is only 3.5 kilos for a dress size. So it is really individual but anyway the good thing is at least the trend downwards is a good trend! The dress sizes will follow. So they tell me!!!!!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    In my case it has to do with waist size, as well as the cut. My relaxed fit, "old lady" size 14 jeans are loose on me. I have to wear a belt to keep them from sagging, but most of the more form fitting size 12s I purchased back in the 90s, before I was quite ready to admit I was middle aged, are still a little too tight in the waist. And I guess they should be, because I'm proportionately a little thicker in the waist than I was at this weight on the way up. I never had a classic hourglass figure to begin with, so my size has always been determined by waist size.

I've decided I'm not going to buy any relaxed fit size 12s. I'll wear my 14s and my belt and continue my daily exercises until I can wear the 12s I already have on hand. And then I have a couple of nice 10s.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I think as sizes go down, there are smaller amounts of weight you have to lose within sizes.

When I was 160 lbs I was in a size 8/10. When I got down to 150 I was wearing about a size 6 in J. Crew. When I went from a size 4 to a 2 in pants it was literally 5 or so lbs in between sizes.
    basically the same here even when i was teeny tiny i still fit into a 4/6 at the smallest
  • Erica9903
    Erica9903 Posts: 156
    Options
    I am 5'7" and started at 227 in a size 22W and am now 201 in a 16W and 1 pair that I bought it still a little snug in the belly area.
    Don't fret too much as soon the sizes will be going down so fast you won't be able to keep up with them. Definately only buy a couple of things in the new size as you're not planning to be in them long. Good luck and be patient...it will happen :)
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My friend just hit 200 the other day and she is a 14, I wasn't a 14 until 170, out body lose weight in different places, I lost my face first, followed by hips, then some of my tummy and this last 20 has been my arms and chest, so yes your pants size will move just not when you want them too!( 5'^6" sw 204 starting size 18(ish I was wearing those tight!), cw 151 cs 9/10, m!)
  • FrankyOsage
    FrankyOsage Posts: 275
    Options
    I understand that!! I was talking to a friend about it at lunch today. I've fluctuated between 190-225 in the last 5 years and have always worn the same size jeans from the same place. 16's from Old Navy. It was just a difference between tight and loose. But I couldn't zip up 14s at 190 and 18's were falling off at 225. Its pretty crazy.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I'm 213 and wear a 12/14.
  • Arielnesika
    Arielnesika Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", weigh 268 and wear a size 18 in jeans. I'm top-heavy or something! Even when I was 180 I still wore a 14.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I've only gone from a 14 to a 12 in the whole 30lbs I've lost .....most of the weight came from my stomach.
  • CurlyKy
    CurlyKy Posts: 16
    Options
    My lowest weight (freshman year of college) was 197 and I wore a size 16. I'm 232 now and I wear an 18 so...really similar situation. I guess it depends on where you lose/gain weight the quickest. I know I lose inches on my waist a lot slower than I lose lbs.