Elliptical Issues - Anyone else have this?

Options
For some reason my toes/feet go numb or fall asleep when I run on my elliptical usually around the 30min. mark. Am I doing something wrong? Anyone else have this happen? I wear my running shoes...I am clueless as to why this is happening. It's more irritating than anything.

Replies

• jmzhale
    jmzhale Posts: 186
    Options
    No, but I have started to get a slight pain between my shoulder blades/lower neck about 2/3 of the way through my workout.
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I've definitely felt that but I can't tell you why!
  • Nysie5
    Nysie5 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    good question.. i notice it happens to me sometimes.. i wanna know too!
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    This happens to me on the stationary bike
  • BrickHouse2011
    BrickHouse2011 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    yes i think that this happens to everyone, well at least most people that I know....
  • Jessilynmorgan
    Jessilynmorgan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have had that happen sometimes... I think it comes from wearing shoes a half size too small. I wear 8.5 for everyday, but 9 to work out now. You need to be able to wiggle your toes in your shoes, and adjust your feet from time to time on the pedals. Hope that helps!
  • jennifir
    jennifir Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It happens to me to. I've wondered why and it has kind of scared me. I am glad to know that I'm not the only one..
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    That happens to me sometimes, when I first started using the elliptical, and sometimes on the treadmill.. Don't know why...
  • dcaswell10
    dcaswell10 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This happens when my sciatic nerve gets pinched. I stop and walk around and re-stretch and it goes away.
  • lisazar
    lisazar Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Me too... usually at about 45 minutes. I have tried to move my feet in different positions and go backward instead of forward but it does not work. I have just learned to put up with it. :(
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Happens to me! I tie my shoes much more loosely when on elliptical and it helps. Heck, you could do it barefoot. :)
  • Elli0tt
    Elli0tt Posts: 49
    Options
    My hands start to go numb sometimes. So i let go of the handles and shake em out a lil bit and it goes away. I can imagine that would be more difficult to do with your feet tho :- / i dunno
  • helthymom6
    Options
    actually since this happens to both myself and my husband i looked it up. They say that it happens when your heel comes up. Your heel is not suppose to come up at all. I still haven't figured how to do this on my elliptical. But that is what they say:happy: :happy:
  • kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have started actually picking my feet up off of the pedals at times on the elliptical - kind of like a running motion. It took a few times to get the hang of it. I'll do that for a minute or so every now and then and the feet numbness is much better.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Recheck your stance~are your feet flat on the surface, or are you using the balls of your feet? The more pressure you place on the fore foot the higher the impact on those nerves. The other thing is fluid retension~ pull your sock away from your ankle (after it's been on 15-20 minutes), does it leave a dent? If so, more pressure on those nerves...
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me. I read an article somewhere on here about how to fix it. It's not shoes...unless they're old and you need to be fitted.

Try leaning back some to put the weight on your heels. By doing this, you're going to feel the burn in your upper thighs. You'll know you're doing it right, then. Just put your weight on your heels...you should almost feel like you're going to sit down, but only slightly.

Good luck.
  • MightyMom4
    MightyMom4 Posts: 180
    Options
    actually since this happens to both myself and my husband i looked it up. They say that it happens when your heel comes up. Your heel is not suppose to come up at all. I still haven't figured how to do this on my elliptical. But that is what they say:happy: :happy:

Hum, that is pretty interesting. I guess I am going to have to pay attention tonight and see if that is what I am doing. I know if I get off and walk around a little it does go away and then I can get back on, but it's kind of annoying to have to do that. I know it's not my shoes because I run in them and the are fine. Thanks for the info!!!
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    This also happens to me on the elliptical and the stationary bike..it's so irritating.

Though when I asked my doctor once why, she said "it's because of all your weight sitting on your nerves and the motion etc"....I took it with a grain of salt because if I don't work out, I'll never get this damn weight off!
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Ahhh that actually does make sense...seems my doc forgot that tidbit of info (keeping your heels flat)..

I'll have to keep an eye on that the next time and hopefully that will help-I'd use the elliptical so much more if that didn't happen!
  • Shannmfp11
    Shannmfp11 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I am glad I am not the only one this happens to! After about 30 minutes I notice that. It is annoying so it makes for an unpleasant last 15 minutes! I am going to try some of the suggestions tonight when I get on it. Thanks.