Should you eat before a morning workout?

Options
Okay fellow fitness people! Help me out.

Personally I believe that you need to eat breakfast to fuel your workout. Not eating is like trying to run a car with no gas. Food=energy.

There is so much talk out there about how not eating before a workout will help you burn your fat vs. your carb stores. (I just got into it with a coworker about this.)

Can someone who REALLY knows what they're talking about point me to some research or an article about this? Maybe I'm wrong, but I really feel that if you have the energy for a better workout (coming from EATING), you will in turn burn MORE calories because you have more energy--- in turn burning more fat.

I don't normally workout in the morning anyway, but if I do I grab a banana or a PowerBar beforehand. I will get dizzy and lightheaded if I don't eat - I don't know how anyone else can do it!

Replies

• KrisPage
    KrisPage Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    interesting in the answer to this.
  • lauble
    lauble Posts: 47
    Options
    bump
  • koolgurl84
    Options
    This was one of the topics on the Dr. Oz show and he said that you shouldnt eat before a morning workout. Because you will burn fat quicker, when you eat, you have to burn through what you ate first before you begin to burn fat.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    dont eat before you workout.....ARNOLD said it and hes right!!!
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    It has been proven scientifically that your body will burn fat stores when there is no food/carbohydrates to burn (food in your stomach)

Here's an article that will give you more info on the science behind it:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37492881/ns/health-fitness/
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have always grab something small, bananna or apple before working out just to have something on my stomach. And I drink plenty of water..
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer but I am interested in knowing too..I literally roll out of bed, walk to my living room, put on my running shoes and do a 30-40 minute workout every morning. Sometimes my eyes are still shut when I am doing the warm up -lol- :blushing: but once I start I wake up and have never had problems being tired or finishing my workout.

I did used to have a personal trainer who would get mad at me when I showed up at the gym without eating. I don't really want to have to wake up at 5:30am just to eat before I work out though....
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I need at least 45 minutes between eating a (small) meal and working out.

I suck at working out hungry - but I don't get hungry until after 10:30 am

Um.

Do what you like with that info.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I'm not going to look through the journal of medicine to get the answer for you. What works for MY morning workouts is half of a banana. The type of workouts that I do would cause me to barf all over my family room floor if I took in more than that. I immediately follow that up with food or a protein shake for recovery.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I have always grab something small, bananna or apple before working out just to have something on my stomach. And I drink plenty of water..

Agree with that though - Hydration is essential!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Here's just one of the million articles on if you should eat before a morning workout. I do think it's a good idea to at least eat something small and having a nice glass of water. You may burn more fat by not eating, but you will not be able to perform at your highest intensity level, at least I know I wouldn't be able to! LOL

http://she-fit.com/should-you-eat-breakfast-morning-workout/
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    There is a theory that "fasted cardio" ie working out before eating can help burn fat. But it doesn't suit everyone.

Years ago i used to jog before breakfast about 3 times a week, and I found that a pretty good way of shifting weight. Just recently I've started doing a 7 am class at the gym - and I've done that with only my mug of lemon water. And it's only once a week. If I find that it really hinders my effort, then I'll think about taking something light before I work out. But I think there's a need to listen to your body, experiment for sure, but find what works for your individual make-up.
  • smithalcutie
    smithalcutie Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I never eat before my workout. I drink lots of water though. i think it depends on you
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I understand not everyone is going to go searching for me-- I looked a little myself-- just wondering if anyone in the industry knew anything relevant offhand. I used to be a trainer as well, I just enjoy reading up on this stuff! : )
  • tophatchief
    Options
    Hi,
    Eat something in the moring! Please do so. I know that I was always finding excuses why I could not have breakfast before I left for work. I found out & knew it was wrong to do so. I have changes my morning routine of fixing something for breakfast. Gives me fuel for the day and I feel fantastic.

Have you been tracking your food count throughout the day? That will help so much and you'll see what you eat throughout the day-gives you energy.

Good Luck-Aloha
  • Woodman725
    Woodman725 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm excited to see what someone comes up with. I only work out in the morning, as that is where I have made time. I rarely get up early enough to even scarf down a power bar before my 5:30 workout. I just feel like if I eat something before I work out it might upset my stomach. Maybe just a powerbar or a banana will help. I'll give it a try this week. I started two weeks ago eating a much more substantial breakfast and it made a huge difference. Several reasons, a couple are: gave me more energy to start the day, gave me less calories to consume later in the day.
  • koolgurl84
    Options

I agree. If you cant workout at all without having something in your stomach, grab a fruit. That way it shouldnt take that long to burn through that, and you begin to burn those fat calories quicker as well.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike for an hour 3 times a week starting at 6.00 a.m., I don't want to get up earlier to have breakfast so I go on an empty stomach. I used to eat before I went, but then I got really hungry by 9.30 a.m., so I ended up eating more. When I ride for longer I have to eat before I go or I feel faint.

The bottom line is experiment with what works for you.

GG
  • Jellyspider
    Options
    The science behind burning more FAT calories due to less sugars in your bloodstream I believe to be true from what I've read. However; if you can workout harder and feel better having eaten breakfast, then do it. I think the important part is total cals in, total cals out.
  • Harshberger24
    Options
    This was one of the topics on the Dr. Oz show and he said that you shouldnt eat before a morning workout. Because you will burn fat quicker, when you eat, you have to burn through what you ate first before you begin to burn fat.

I read the same thing in Health magazine.. do not eat (so it said)