Our Children

jeromy75
jeromy75 Posts: 112
edited September 24 in Motivation and Support
I'm sure there have been several topics about our children. One of the things I am really working toward is showing my son the lessons I'm learning. We were at my grandma's funeral today. After the funeral, we had a pitch-in (potluck) dinner. I got my plate and helped my son with his. We got a small helping of a few different foods. My son asked for more, and I was able to explain to him that he had enough. I had him wait for about 20 minutes, and he was able to realize he was full. He then went and played with the other kids. I gotta tell ya, that made me feel good. He's learning. He's only 9, but he's learning now.

Our children are our future, and I just want to do the best I can for them. I'm finding several reasons to be thankful for this program on here. Props to MFP. It has made this so much easier.

Replies

• dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Good job
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Good for you and showing a great example to your son! You're right...he is learning! And the sooner the better when it comes to a healthy life.

Good job dad:)
  • timanda2
    timanda2 Posts: 149
    Sometimes our eyes are bigger than our stomach....MFP helps keep things in check.
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    That is awesome. I wish more parents taught their children valuable lessons like this about food. Just because it is there doesn't mean we need to keep indulging ourselves. Bravo!
  • MrsFoster18
    MrsFoster18 Posts: 125 Member
    Good for you! I work with preschool children and I am always encouraging parents to bring in healthy snacks instead of the norm "cupcakes" for birthday celebrations! Not as exciting-but it still teaches them that there are other choices out there!
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    I wish that my son would take those lessons ( I only offer healthy snacks and I only consume healthy snacks) but he completely has a "more" syndrome, and he is a heavier boy, he is super active and I keep being told that really after that 20 minutes if he is still "hungry" I should give in. It just scares me b/c I was always a little bigger...the best thing you can do as a parent is walk and talk a healthy lifestyle.
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    My kids need a shock collar.
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Great job! One of my biggest motivators is to set a better example for my kids. Particularly my daughter who is already an emotional eater at almost 10.

BTW, I am sorry for your loss!!
  • jeromy75
    jeromy75 Posts: 112
    Ha! That's funny.
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Ha! That's funny.

I checked. It's illegal.

Can you imagine....

"Please fold the clothes"
    *eye roll" *sigh*
    "gggggzzzzaaaaaaaaaap"
    *clothes folded*
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Good for you to be a good role model for your son. It only gets harder to hear our bodies (tell us we are full) as we get older. It would be a good lesson to teach our kids to listen to their body now, while they can still hear it ;)
  • dcberg00
    dcberg00 Posts: 33 Member
    Good stuff!! I need to have that lesson taught to me! Thanks for watching out for the youth! More importantly great job to your son!! Great will power, then he went to play!!
  • tsmom1128
    tsmom1128 Posts: 151 Member
    Sorry to hear about your loss. May she rest in peace.

I too have the same problem with my five year old. It doesn't help that I am trying to teach my daughter serving sizes and my husband is trying tell me that I am not serving her enough. She, (like me) is an emotional eater. As well as an, I don't want to go to bed yet- eater.

Our kids are our lives, and I bet everyone on this site with children are doing it for them.
  • heatherrobuck
    heatherrobuck Posts: 13 Member
    Great job! I have 4 daughters and we try hard to instill good habits in them.
This discussion has been closed.