Chips!

Options
2»

Replies

• elvie64
    elvie64 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Somebody on here posted a recipe for Kale Chips stating they were guilt free replacements for potato chips. I would have to differ on that view, I found them nasty and the only relationship to "real chips" was the salt. I was contemplating licking off all the salt and throwing the "chips" out, but I did the right thing and chucked the lot. Experiment fail for me.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Somebody on here posted a recipe for Kale Chips stating they were guilt free replacements for potato chips. I would have to differ on that view, I found them nasty and the only relationship to "real chips" was the salt. I was contemplating licking off all the salt and throwing the "chips" out, but I did the right thing and chucked the lot. Experiment fail for me.

I thought they were gross too! I read a lot of food blogs where the writers rave about them but I was definitely unimpressed. I'm glad I'm not the only one!
  • HilarieXcore
    HilarieXcore Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    About the PopChips - I haven't seen them anywhere around here.. :\

Food scale - good idea! I need one of those lol. I just take broken pieces and put them together in chip sized pieces.

Malb3 - I think they taste awesome! That's what i always get at Subway.

drewangela - That's something I could probably find here. Thank you :) And I completely agree with your post. I have wants and I'm not going to just cut things completely out. I just asked because I was eating my leftover Odoba for supper & wanted to eat chips with it.

Kim - Thank you (:

Shaye85 - Thanks for your opinion, I guess. I know chips are bad but I don't care. I eat within my calorie goal. I just asked for a healthier kind of chip. You don't have to tell me that they're bad. I do eat the rice cakes though. But i eat big ones because it's less calories for one than a handful of mini ones.

aznladie82 & veggiemuncher12 - Thank you! I'll have to look for those.

ashleighk2010 - awesome! That's the kind of thing I need.
  • HilarieXcore
    HilarieXcore Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    ItsOn - I'm not really a fan of the super crispiness :\

HotRod - My faaavorite! I loove them.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I love chips. I cannot cut them out of my diet. I've tried that before and then find myself finishing off a family size bag... That being said, as you already know, measuring a serving is the key. As long as you are within your calorie goals, eating a few "bad" things isn't bad at all. What I think we've learned over the past few years is the people who tell you things are bad will change their minds a few years later. Take, for example, eggs. They were supposed to cause high cholesterol. Now, they're good for you. High fructose corn syrup, first it was good, then bad, now not so bad... In the end what most studies have found is that being in a healthy weight range is more important than what you are actually eating.

Anyway, the only low calorie chips I eat are pringles. The rest I eat in their "natural" form. I'm a huge fan of Lays and Doritos. And I love, love, love Onion and Garlic flavored chips.
  • stargzrlily
    stargzrlily Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    What are pop chips and where do you buy them?
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Popchips: They are in the chips section of my grocery store. It's a Wegman's--so I expect that they would be in the chip section of most grocery stores.
  • WashingtonGrown
    Options
    So you can eat an entire bag (like regular sized not those small ones) of pop chips and it's 100 calories? Sign me up! All joking aside Chips are my down fall, I could eat and eat them. I love tortilla chips and I still eat them on occasion. I try to snack on Pretzels instead, I like to dip them in The Laughing Cow light swiss cheese wedges.
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I love Kale chips, but if you're trying them for the first time:
    1. lower your expectations, they're basically dried Kale...they're not going to taste like deep fried potatoes
    2. do not burn them or they will smell and taste really awful

That being said I can totally understand that you still may not like them. I like them because I feel like they're a nice snack, they remind me of regular chips, but unlike regular chips you don't have to worry about eating too many, and they're super healthy. :smile:
  • crlujan
    crlujan Posts: 59
    Options
    Sweet Potato Chips by Food Should Taste This Good. Mmm... With some simple homemade fresh guacamole. Can't beat it. As for eating just one serving? Haven't quite figured that out yet. =)
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I just tried Pop Chips today. I actually like them better than regular potato chips. The only store that sells them around where I live is Fred Meyer and they are in the health food section.

The bag I got is 3 oz and has 3 servings in it. Each serving is 120 calories. My mom said that the cafeteria at the hospital where she works has smaller bags of them, although she hadn't tried them. I'm going to guess those are the 100 calorie bag ones.
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I *love* those too! So good!

I also really enjoy the cape cod kettle cooked harvest gold (made with yukon gold potatoes).
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Baked original Lays with chunky guacamole!
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have found a few things that I like pretty well that have few ingredients, and are more natural. Utz Rice Crisps with sea salt, Utz Sweet Potato Chips, and PopCorners are all pretty tasty. Makes going with a chip type snack a much better option than it might be otherwise.
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    My favorite are Spicy Cassava Chips

I get them in bulk at Bulk Barn:
    http://www.bulkbarn.ca/en-ca/products.html?product=2550

I know they have regular cassava chips as well. I've heard they are healthier than regular chips - I think the sodium and fat is much lower than regular potato chips
  • anastasiapai
    Options

I love kale chips. smittenkitchen.com has a recipe that I adore. I totally understand they aren't for everyone, but if I can make them and find out my husband has eaten half of them by the time I get back into the kitchen, I call it a success. :)
  • donaldwalser
    Options
    They arent really chips.. but triscuits are awesome!