heart rate guide chart

Options
TuscanySun
TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
Hello! Sorry if this is a duplicate question...

I work out at home and do not have a HRM (I know I need one...just cant afford right now). So...when I was able to afford the gym..on the machines was this neat little chart that showed I think age or weight and across from it was the target heart rate for fat burn and/or weight loss.

Does anyone have any clue where I could find a copy of that chart??

Thank you!

Replies

• Rielyn
    Rielyn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It's 220 minus your age divided by 6!!
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    What's the divided by 6 =?
  • monicaP413
    monicaP413 Posts: 165
    Options
    bump
  • sm26davis
    sm26davis Posts: 52
    Options
    I have a hRm I got from wal mart and I think it costs me $30. It also calulates your calories burned. I can't afford much more either! Its a sportline and works great for what I need it for.
  • coog81855
    coog81855 Posts: 35
    Options
    bump
  • TuscanySun
    Options
    It's 220 minus your age divided by 6!!

Ok...so I got 30...what is this?? (sorry...I know I'm clueless!)

220 - 40 = 180 / 6 = 30 right??
  • EvilPirateJohn
    EvilPirateJohn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Don't divide by 6! That's not correct.

I don't know how to do it exactly. I don't have a HRM either, so don't know where my heart reate is at during weight training. However, my heart rate stays around 170-180 while I'm on the Elliptical. I'm 30 years old and weigh 223.
  • TuscanySun
    Options
    OK...I found it! Here's the link from the American Heart Association...

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4736

They said the target heart rate is 220 minus your age...so we were close there. That makes mine 180...geez...I"m surprised!!I

It further says: Target heart rates let you measure your initial fitness level and monitor your progress in a fitness program. This approach requires measuring your pulse periodically as you exercise and staying within 50 to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate. This range is called your target heart rate.

THANKYOU for your help!
  • jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options
    220 - minus your age = your MAXIUM target heart rate. For an effective aerobic workout you want to aim for 75-85% of that number.
  • Rielyn
    Rielyn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Sorry sorry, it was late. I forgot to add that we count our heartrate for 10 seconds in spin class that's why we divide by 6 ;) You're supposed to be anywhere from 25-35 beats within the ten seconds. Anything above you're working too hard and below obviously not hard enough.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Giovanni_P
    Giovanni_P Posts: 107
    Options
    Bump
  • Giovanni_P
    Giovanni_P Posts: 107
    Options
    According to my HRM (polar FT4) I regularly exceed my max. But using the A.H.A. guideline, I could go another 25 bpm above my HRM's alarm setting.
  • Yzfdude1
    Yzfdude1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    @nin4dnine

Your true Maximum Heart Rate (MHR) is the highest pulse rate you can attain during all-out effort, so by definition, it is impossible to exceed this limit. Your MHR is most accurately determined during an exercise stress test, when you run on a treadmill and are connected to an electrocardiogram that measures your pulse during maximal exertion, The easy way to estimate your MHR is to subtract your age from 220.