Pain in the.... Knee, anyone?

Options
I did Zumba last night for the first time and did a Leslie Sansone walking DVD today and the back of my knee is throbbing. It feels like a tendon (ok, I may be being a bit dramatic) is bulging out in the back. Any ideas what it is or how to treat it?

Thanks All! xoxo, Monica

Replies

• writenina
    writenina Posts: 35
    Options
    I'm sorry, I don't have an answer to your question. However I am curious because I'm having knee issues as well. Mine are more of the popping/grinding variety, and my Dr has advised me not to run anymore (but I really want to).
  • llstrength
    llstrength Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I don't have an answer to your question. However I am curious because I'm having knee issues as well. Mine are more of the popping/grinding variety, and my Dr has advised me not to run anymore (but I really want to).

I had a similar problem when I was in high school. I had knee surgery, and my PT always pushed me to bike more. He said stationary bikes are great for popping and grinding.
  • kuarta
    kuarta Posts: 65
    Options
    I have had knee pain for a long time and, although I love running on the treadmill, I no longer do this as it makes my knee swell and causes much pain. My doctor also advised against running - so I just do a fast walk (6.5km/hr) and have the treadmill on an incline.

The "popping/grinding" sounds like mine - bone on bone, cartilage no longer there. Follow your doctor's advice and you will at least be able to walk. :happy:

I also had a "bulging" behind my knee a while ago. It was called Baker's cyst. Rest, elevation and an ice pack all helped. I haven't had it since. Hope this helps.
  • BMSkvara
    BMSkvara Posts: 7
    Options
    It sounds like what happened to my knee. Teh back of my knee was swollen so I went to the doctor and found out my bursa sac was inflamed. He gave me some meds and it did get better and has not happened again.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

I had a doctor tell me not to run because of me knee also. She said women aren't built for running? :huh: So, I went to the Chiropractor and he is TREATING my knee pain and actually helping me. I'm running my first 10k in 2 weeks.

My advice for the OP, if you feel like you are injured you shouldn't even hesitate to go see the doctor. If you haven't been exercising regularly you may have actually hurt yourself. If you have been exercising regularly it could be an overuse injury which is very common in the knees. If it is actually swollen you should see someone.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    My advice for the OP, if you feel like you are injured you shouldn't even hesitate to go see the doctor. If you haven't been exercising regularly you may have actually hurt yourself. If you have been exercising regularly it could be an overuse injury which is very common in the knees. If it is actually swollen you should see someone.

What she said. Don't screw around with knee pain. It is WAY too easy to seriously hurt yourself. Go see a doctor.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i have knee pain regularly, and i don't run either, it just hurts too much to get me up to a high heart rate, so i use the cross trainer where i don't get that pain to get to the 150+ heart rates, and the bike. even walking fast with no incline hurts my knee, where the cross trainer dosen't.
  • thehealthyone
    Options
    [/quote]
  • thehealthyone
    Options
    Karin is right..but first step..REST IT..discontinue exercising until you can figure out the severity of the injury! THEN,
    ...IMMEDIATELY ICE! and IBUPROFEN..this helps with inflammation.. suggested first 24hrs of injury 20mins ea. setting..

always treat an pain..as though it is an injury! The body responds best this way..

should you stretch before ICING, you are looking to add to the problems..

if you continue to feel heat when you feel of the area...keep icing..I would ice 4-5 days before seeing a doctor..

If between day2-5 you feel no heat..after standing and using the limb..add heat and more activity..only enough to warm the body for a nice stretch..

p- massage therapist..PM me if you need anything!!