Ouch!

Options
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is a common thing:
Today is my second day of Couch to 5K and it's going really well besides --holy crap my shins are sore! The fronts of my legs, the muscle next to my shin bone on each leg...so achy and sore. Is this normal? Does it go away with more training? Anyone have any suggestions on what helps them?
Thank you!

Replies

• Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    it may be your shoes.....are they new or are they old and not meant for running????? make sure your shoes are the right ones.
  • MandyC82
    MandyC82 Posts: 73
    Options
    That could be, they're New Balance running shoes but they are about 10 months old.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yup, check your shoes and read up on stretching.
  • yogaangel
    Options
    Stretch! If you get on your hands and knees and slide your gluts back to touch (or almost touch) your heels, you go into a yoga pose called child's pose. Your bodies weight will press against the leg and stretch the shins.
  • ebju8482
    ebju8482 Posts: 32
    Options
    Try to land on the middle of you foot and roll to the front usually when you get shin splints its because your landing on the front of your feet and also make sure that you don't find yourself bouncing up and down i learned the hard way and was bed bound for 4 days so my doctor told me what I should do and it worked. I just got done with Couch to 5k and did my first 5k this past weekend!! I hope that helps a little and GOOD LUCK with your journey!!!!!!!!
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Hey, I get really bad shin splints also! It's such a bummer, and makes running kind of a pain to do. I am in LOVE with my Icy Hot.
    But also, if you can change the way you hold your body while you run, you can reduce or even eliminate the pain. If you lean forward more, you'll put less stress on that part of your leg. I read an article about it on either active.com or coolrunning.com. Go to either/both of the sites and use the search bar; type in "shin splints" or click on the sections about running injuries/prevention. I believe the technique is called ChiRunning, or something like that. I'll try to find it again and post it on here!

Either way, try leaning forward next time you go out, almost like you could fall unless you took that next step. It's really helped me so far!
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Shin splints suck!!! I don't know the reason behind them since one day I will get them and not the next.. then get them again a few weeks later. The only thing I was told is to walk (or more appropriately run) it off. I don't know if that is good advice or not since it really didn't help me any.
  • rezfam1
    rezfam1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I got them really bad training for my half marathon and the ONLY thing that worked was taking a break. I think I took almost a week off and they got better. I tried to just run it out/walk it out and I was only making it worse. It sucks to have to take time off when you are into it but that's the only thing that helped me. I had to just take it off or I'd do more damage and I just needed to get better ASAP. Good luck. Hurts, I know!