Whats is the best kind of protein shake?

Options
I hear a lot of ppl drink protein shakes, I want to know what the benefits are and also what the best most reasonably priced ones are. I can't afford $100 for a bag of powder, its just not realistic to my budget, any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks!

Replies

• NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    To me, simple powder is better. I get GNC 100% Whey Protein, which is pretty much just the protein powder, without all of these extra add ons (which raise the price). You can get a jug for $30 which will last you a couple of months of semi-regular use.

I use Whey Protein as a post workout supplement. Whey is the absorbed by the body faster than any other type of protein, so it's best right after your workout to get you'r muscles rebuilding as soon as possible. The powder can be kind of nasty, so try to figure out a recipe that will make it tolerable. I keep it simple. I get Mixed Berry Flavored Powder and mix it with Mix Berry Propel or Flavored Gatorade, so it really just tastes like the beverage.
  • purplefreak60
    purplefreak60 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you are a member @ Costco...I just bought a 6 pound bag for $32.99 of 100% Whey from Muscle Milk...it tastes great. Here's the info listed in the food section of MFP:

Breakfast
    Costco - 100% Whey Protein From Creators of Muscle Milk, 1 scoop

Calories Carbs Fat Calcium Protein Potass
    130 2 2 15 27 190
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    IF you're having difficullty getting enough protein or just need an easy way to add some protein, then protein powder is the answer.

I have a daily goal of 240g of protein and it is just unrealistic to eat that much chicken or tuna, so two scoops of the protein powder I use is 42 grams of protein. I use whey which is the faster digesting of the two milk based proteins. Casein is the other its good to take at night as it degests slower and feeds your muscles through the night.

The cheapest way to buy is online, I spend about $35 for 70 servings.
  • mrsmillerstyle
    Options
    I LOVE having a protein shake for breakfast or in place of a meal... They are filling and delicious!! I'm also a vegetarian and really need the extra protein. I've tried soy, whey, and hemp, but my FAVORITE is Nutribiotic Organic Vanilla Rice Protein!! It's really gentle on my tummy and super good for you! I mix 8oz unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1/2 frozen banana, a handful of organic frozen raspberries, 1 packet of stevia, a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder, rice protein and a bunch of ice!! Blend until smooth... delicious:) The best part: No added sugar and under 200 calories!! I found mine on Amazon.com for around $20 and free shipping. I think it's totally worth it!! Let me know:)
  • Sethro1
    Sethro1 Posts: 4
    Options
    Watch the calories in those protein shakes! Most of 'em get over 200 calories... 300 if you mix it with nonfat milk!

The best tasting, in my opinion, are made by Syntha Six. They cost around $45 but they blend real well. Sadly, they also have 400 calories or so... so I only drink one as a meal replacement or after an intense workout.

Myoplex makes a decent powder that you can buy at Target around $25, too.

Decide what it is you want the muscle recover for... quick post workout would be whey protein (usually the cheapest).

Muscle recover overnight would be caesin or a protein blend (this is where it gets pricey).

If you're not lifting weights regularly but would like to add some protein to your diet, I actually recommend Special K. They have a pink lemonade powder you add to a bottle of water which is light in calories and has 5g protien and 5g fiber. Also, Special K makes premixed bottled shakes. A 4 pack runs about $7... but they're not as calorie rich or heavy... and they're premixed.

Lastly, the next time you hit up a 7Eleven, check out premixed Muscle Milk. It has a metalic taste and about 250 calories... but it's got 26g of protien, too. Personally, I recommend trying premade shakes until you find a flavor/brand you like. There's nothing worse than dropping $45 on a container of "Orange Delight Protein" only to get it home, try it once and HATE it. Trust me... I've got a few jugs of it.

Also, check in with the nutrition shops in your area. They often get individual powder packets as promotional tools... they'll help you find something you like.
  • 7destiny
    7destiny Posts: 31
    Options
    There is a new product just out, Neocell Sport Collagen. I like it because it combines whey protein isolate with collagen..great for muscle recovery, and also for skin and hair! 30 grams of protein, and no sugar. It has a light French Vanilla flavor. I add my own chocolate sometimes, frozen fruit other times. Or stir in oatmeal! I don't think its expensive. I think I paid eleven dollars but bigger containers are available too.
  • gonnabeHOT_Heidi
    gonnabeHOT_Heidi Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your suggestions, I will have to check them out and see whats best for me, awesome advice :) love MFP!