<RANT/RANT/RANT!> No loss in a week!

Options
Rant-On.gif

It is now 1 week since I have lost so much as an ounce, and I'm really frustrated!

Yes, I know many here have gone so long without losing anything but I've been losing so steady since I've started--about 3.5 pounds a week--and now NOTHING!

And, believe me, I know all the reasons it could be:

--not fluid: sure of that

--not T.O.M--finally got that out of way and thought I'd see a weight drop BUT NO!

--I'm getting enough food--most days 1100 or 1200 (doc said I can go to 1100, so that's ok there since it's med approved)

--eating most of my exercise calories (see directly above)

--I'm exercising like crazy on my bike! Last week, I rode 109 miles

--I've not lost any inches in a week, so it's not inches lost but no weight loss either

The only thing that has changed in that time is I joined the gym and started some light weight training.

I've gone there exactly 3 times to do some weight training, and I don't see how in the world that could impact my weight loss--could it?

I know I couldn't have gained muscle in 3 trips!

Rant-Off.gif

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Rant-On.gif

It is now 1 week since I have lost so much as an ounce, and I'm really frustrated!

Yes, I know many here have gone so long without losing anything but I've been losing so steady since I've started--about 3.5 pounds a week--and now NOTHING!

--not T.O.M--finally got that out of way and thought I'd see a weight drop BUT NO!

--I'm getting enough food--most days 1100 or 1200 (doc said I can go to 1100, so that's ok there since it's med approved)

--I've not lost any inches in a week, so it's not inches lost but no weight loss either

The only thing that has changed in that time is I joined the gym and started some light weight training.

I've gone there exactly 3 times to do some weight training, and I don't see how in the world that could impact my weight loss--could it?

Rant-Off.gif
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Rant-On.gif

Rant-Off.gif

Well my dear, it happens to the best of us trust me. You're body is probably just re-adjusting itself. give it a little time and you will probably see results again. Just remember a couple of things, 1st, just cuz a doctor says you can eat a certain amount, doesn't mean it's the right amount for you. It may be safe, but that doesn't mean it will work for you. 2nd, to your question, 3 times to the gym can most certainly have an effect on your muscle building. Especially at the beginning, the body will furiously attempt to work towards being where it needs to be to do the work you are requesting of it. And 3rd, I'm sure you realize, 1 week isn't a long enough sample to tell if something is working. We all have weeks that are less then positive for us. It could be anything for a week, if after say, 2 more weeks you're still at the same weight/size, then you may need to re-evaluate. Cheer up Shore. It will kick back in for you. I'm confident in that.
  • shorerider
    Options
    I hope so! Well, I know it will but still ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

And, I didn't know that so few gym trips could have an impact. Hmmmmm....so now, Banks, the question is this: is this a good time in my weight loss, given how much I have to lose yet, to begin weight training, or should I wait to lose some more. I'm not lifting much.

I told the guy at the YMCA what I wanted to do and he's worked out a routine on certain machines for me. I stressed that I wasn't looking to build up much muscle but just help my riding and start some toning.

I'm working on my legs to help my riding and my core because I know that's weak!

Very light arm and shoulder though because of my bum shoulder.
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    I say doing toning weights can be done at any stage and tbh the sooner the better
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I know how you're feeling Shore! I got on the scale this morning, expecting MORE weight gone, as has been the case every week since I started 3 months ago. BUT, nope, nothing! I stayed exactly the same. And if anything, I've been EVEN better about my eating this past week than any other. (I was paying more attention to my salt intake.)
    Oh well. It didn't keep my down, because I know I'm doing great, AS ARE YOU, so I just figure NEXT week we'll be rewarded with more weight loss!
  • shashod
    shashod Posts: 103
    Options
    You've done so well so far and the weight will start to move again.

:flowerforyou:
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Options
    This is the most frustrating part of looking at numbers -- when they don't change!

As someone on MFP suggested to me: make sure you look at measurements. Especially now that you are working with weights. You may not lose weight right away but you may actually change physically with inches lost.

I wonder, too, if that significant weight loss that you've already achieved has levelled off and now you need to switch it up to get your body to let go of more? The weight training definitely seems like a very good idea.

And, I second Banks on this one: those calories may not be just right right now. 1100-1200 might be too low, especially if you are now challenging your body in new ways like the weight training.

Hang in there! Try to stay focused on all the positive things you have done for your body so far.
  • LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options
    Don't worry about it! You WILL lose the weight.. You are doing AWESOME! I know how you feel though..it can be very discouraging. I have been stuck for over two weeks now without losing a pound..so I know it can be frustrating..Looks like you are doing everything right though. Keep up the good work!:heart:
  • chelsey787
    chelsey787 Posts: 261
    Options
    don't give up shore!

try something new - switch up your foods, your exercise routine; your body may just have gotten used to it!

keep us updated!
  • shorerider
    Options
    I just needed to vent about it--I know that soon SOMETHING/ANYTHING will happen--must happen!

darkevil.gifdarkevil.gifdarkevil.gif

But I'm going to my doc next Tuesday, and it will be the first that she has physically seen me in 3 months. I really had hoped to go in there with an even 50 pound loss but now I don't think that will happen. Sooo, it's more not meeting a goal I had set for myself than anything.

So today I'm just ticked! And want to wallow in and enjoy my bad mood for a bit longer :tongue:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Ahh, don't worry SR, you'll get there! There is no bad time to start with weights, but as you seem to be doing already, different times in your journey, require different types of work out routines. Right now, in order to help your body work more efficiently, you need weight training that will help build stamina. That means increasing density and adding a small amount of size.

I'm going to stress something for you, something many people don't realize but is VERY important to understand. When you begin building muscle, initially, weight loss may suffer for it. The body will start pulling nutrience to build muscle instead of flushing some of it, and buring some of it. This will result in the temporary halting of much weight loss progress, you shouldn't really gain, but for a month or two, until your body gets closer to where it feels it needs to be, you probably won't lose much either. This is ok, it's hard to quantify, and hard to justify for many, but you just have to realize that this will really help you to become healthier in the long run, after a few months, your body will settle into it's new form, and will again become a fat burning machine. Also, you need to realize that muscle needs energy, you can't go overboard with a calorie deficit and still try to build muscle, your body will eat itself in earnest from the inside out. Try a 400 or 500 calorie deficit with extra protein while you are weight training, it's important to give the body the fuel it needs to grow properly.
    I hope this puts it in perspective for you. I know it may not be exactly what you want to hear, but I think you are doing great, and if you stay strong, and believe that this will work, you will see all kinds of tremendous results!

Best of luck to you SR!

-Banks
  • shorerider
    Options
    I'm going to stress something for you, something many people don't realize but is VERY important to understand. When you begin building muscle, initially, weight loss may suffer for it. The body will start pulling nutrience to build muscle instead of flushing some of it, and buring some of it. This will result in the temporary halting of much weight loss progress, you shouldn't really gain, but for a month or two, until your body gets closer to where it feels it needs to be, you probably won't lose much either. This is ok, it's hard to quantify, and hard to justify for many, but you just have to realize that this will really help you to become healthier in the long run, after a few months, your body will settle into it's new form, and will again become a fat burning machine.
    -Banks

See, that's kind of what I figured! And exactly why I had hesitated to start weight training! I was afraid it would at least temporarily slow if not halt the weight loss. BUT--at the same time I also realized that I seriously needed to improve my strength, particularly my core, to be able to continue to increase my distance riding.

I realized just how weak my core was a couple weeks ago when I thought I'd try a few sit-ups--z7shysterical.gif YEAH! RIGHT! I thought I would die! I got out 5 and just dropped! thud.gif

I knew right then I had to do something or my goal to continue increasing my distance riding was going to suffer.

Which meant I half-realized but didn't want to admit that I knew already what you're saying--I just hope it doesn't halt it altogether.

Thanks, Banks--I figured your cool thinking would provide a solution and offer some common sense thinking.

ALL PRAISE SUPER BANKS! worthy.gif

But, bad mood is almost over--I went and dragged out a couple outfits I haven't been able to wear in a couple years now but had hung onto out of denial of how much weight I had gained more than anything. AND THEY FIT! There's even on pair of jeans I haven't been able to wear in 5 years and the waist is almost too loose! so that made me feel somewhat better!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Hey, it could be the weights. . .when a muscle is in recovery mode, it loads up with glycogen, which, if my science is correct. . .(it's a bit rusty) loves to hold on to water. Also, I know it doesn't help much, but add all your weeks up, total your weight up and divide for an "average weekly loss". I doubt it will disappoint.

Also, I met with a "fitness evaluator" at my new gym, and one of my goals was to raise my BMR. . .by adding more muscle mass. Pretty good incentive to keep training with weights. . .they will improve everything i the long run.

You're an inspiration! Don't fret too much.:flowerforyou: