THoughts on my food diary-- public now =)

Options
Over the past 2.5 weeks I have been playing with the same 3lbs! I was 133 finally saw 130 on the scale then back up to 133 then down to 132, 131, 130, back up to 131... I am dying to see 129!!!!!!!!!!! Please view my food diary and give your thoughts =)

Replies

• oxnina
    oxnina Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough Calories.
    1200 calories a day MINIMUM.
    You're going into starvation mode and your tricking your body into thinking it's starving so it's storing fat and burning muscle.
    Eat more please!
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I agree, eat more! Also, although you are under calories, the foods you are choosing aren't all that nutritious. Try more protein, whole grains, and veggies. You got this!
  • rockmack
    rockmack Posts: 12
    Options
    I had the exact same problem and spoke to a nutritionist. Two things stand out
    1) You are not eating enough calories and are basically in starvation mode. Your body will not allow itself to lose anymore because it is starving. I have about the same caloric intake goal and eat between 1400-1500 calories per day.
    2) Too many carbs early in the morn. I started drinking a Whey Protein drink (you can buy at Walmart for $15ish). This gets me thru until lunch and fills you up.

So after these 2 changes I started losing 2 lbs/wk again, got off the plateau and ended us losing another 5 lbs. Hope this helps.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I agree, I don't think you're eating enough; however, 1200 is just a rule of thumb.
    The other thing I'd say, lose the sugar category and start tracking sodium.

You said your weight is bouncing around with those 3 lbs. I'm guessing it's due to sodium/water retention. Drop sodium levels and drink water.

Good luck!!
  • B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Are all your daily intakes like today?? If they are that'sthe problem, going to low on ur calorie intake. Eating to few cals tells your body that its not getting sufficient fuel and holds onto fat as a reserve , or starvation mode, and breaks down muscle to supply your energy needs. Minimum intake is 1100-1200 cals a day. There is a BMR , basic metabolic rate, calculator on this site, use it. It will calculate what your body burns on a daily basis even if you sat on the couch all day. Imagine your body is a car with no gas, would u still drive it? I was at a plateu,130, for a while too. It's your body telling u its good where its at. To break last that plateu u need to change it up, either by calorie intake or calorie burn. So I would say if you don't exersice, then start, if you do add some weight training. Hope this helps :-)
  • ProjectSara
    ProjectSara Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Just google "starvation mode" and there's a plethora of information on why eating too little inhibits your weight loss. Example:

"Another common myth involves the idea that skipping meals will aid in weight loss and help a person’s stomach shrink.

“As we skip meals our body goes into starvation mode,” said Matt Witzel, a senior and a nutritional science major from Draper, in an e-mail. “Our organs begin to conserve energy and our overall metabolism slows down. We are using less energy and therefore burning fewer calories.”"

It's hard to tell from your diary, but it's also important to spread the calorie intake out evenly throughout the day (e.g., 4 or 5 small meals). The consistent rule of thumb seems to be to consume at least 1200 cals/day to avoid starvation mode. But again, they should be spread out through the day to keep your blood-sugar level up (i.e., your metabolism).

Hope this helps you get over your hump!
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    shoot for eating between 1000 and 1200 calories, try to eat more protein, less carbohydrates. try to see snack food items as a special treat, not an every day item

$0.02