Too many carbs from fruits?

Options
I keep going over on my carbs and when I look back through my food diary, a Large majority of them are from all of the fruit I eat. I eat a lot. Usually a banana, apple, orange, and strawberries each day. Is it okay for me to go over on the carbs due to fruit?

Replies

• kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    As a Diabetic, I'm going to say it's not ok. Just because fruits and veggies are healthy, doesn't mean go all out on them. Certain ones are better than others. But, everything in moderation.

I think it's great you like fruit. Just be careful.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    carbs are good. dont worry about them so much. i get tons and i weigh 118ish.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I'm voting no as well. When I started website in February, all I did was concentrate on carbohydrates. I had a dietician tell me that this is the easiest way to lose weight. She didn't recommend adkin's or anything. She sat down with me and we built a plan together- 30 carbohydrates per meal, 15 for each snack. I've done very well with this, and have since started concentrating on calories and everything else. It was a smoother transition than calorie counting.
  • newman50
    newman50 Posts: 16
    Options
    If you are trying to lose body fat, excess sugars, even from fruit are going to slow the process down, all else being equal.

Sugars from fruit are clearly better than processed sugars but ....

Moderation is the key, chnage some portions to vegetables such as carrots, raw brocolli, celery etc

Bananas are a great food source but one of the high ones in sugar.

I have converted most of my fruit intake to raw veges, protein bars, protein shakes.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    You are probably eating too much fruit each day. My basic rule is 2 servings of fruit (usually 1/2 of a banana and 1/2c. of strawberries) each day and 3-5 servings of vegetables (I'm a vegetarian, so the vegetables are often also my source of protein). Because the government's food guide lumps fruits & vegetables together in one category, people often think they can eat only one of the two. But these should be treated as separate food groups. Fruits should be eaten in moderation as with everything else. Vegetables I think you can be less restrictive about so long as you're not going way over in any of your nutrient categories.
  • mogenfire
    mogenfire Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! Darn it. I thought I was doing a good thing by eating all the fruits! I hit a plateau so maybe replacing some fruits with some veggies will do the trick! Thanks again!
  • goohan
    goohan Posts: 155
    Options
    too many carbs from fruit is bad for me except for when im in a really active day. basically if you don't use up your carbs in exercise, it will turn to fat.
  • Jacrech
    Jacrech Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above comments. Fruit are not only high in calories, they are high in Carbs and Sugar. These types of carbs and sugars are healthy, yes, but portion control is a huge issue. I believe the current recommendation where I'm from is 2-3 serves of fruit per day and 5-7 serves of vegies (apparently quality of vegies isn't what it used to be so to get the full benefits your body needs they have upped it a bit).