My Lenten Commitment (should I really put this in writing?)

Options
I am going to give up soda.

While I am a Christian, Lent to me is more of an opportunity for me to commit to something big to improve my life and the lives of those around me - not necessarily a specific rule or rules to follow. Last year it was Facebook. This year: diet sodas. One of the last vestiges of unhealthiness.

Our almost-6-year old son has recently developed an awareness about the unhealthfulness of soda. This wasn't aided by his recent trip to the dentist (well, actually it WAS aided). So he's already started bugging me about it and reminding me about all the maladies of soda every time he sees me drinking one of my beloved Diet Pepsis.

I'm really hoping I can break the soda habit, but I had to put this in writing to make it "real."

Replies

• jon_dub
    jon_dub Posts: 166
    Options
    I am going to give up beer
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    I'm giving up my scales!! and chocolate and crisps I'm hoping I can lose 14lb over lent
  • km323
    km323 Posts: 124
    Options
    I gave up soda for Lent years ago and I haven't gone back! In the 40 days that I wasn't drinking it, I got hooked on water, then when I would try to go back to soda it left me feeling bloated and burned my throat. Definitely an admirable goal and I wish you luck!
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    i think i will just have green leafy vegetables for lent, no fish, no eggs; OMG thats all i eat anyway
  • JillSymes
    JillSymes Posts: 34
    Options
    I usually give up dieting for Lent! But this year..............
  • losing4myself
    Options
    I think that is great!! I too am christian but plan to give up something for Lent as well! Just not sure yet! I've already given up soda. I think...I think it will be nicotine :smokin: I've tried so many times, especially here lately...but I think this will be it. I did quit the entire time I was pregnant with my son...but since then have started again and he is now 2. So it is time. Yup...here it is in writing. No more yucky cigs for Lent....and then I will continue to be done thereafter!!
  • kpower1983
    kpower1983 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    For me, it's chocolate, wine and take out! :tongue:

Can not believe I am comitting to this but no scale movement in 2 weeks calls for drastic measures!!!

Good luck to you all! :heart:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Delivery Pizza for me!

I have no excuse now anyway since I have a great whole wheat crust recipe from an Italian chef...I need to just USE it. :flowerforyou:
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I am giving up pasta .... I eat some form of pasta almost everyday ... Maybe my scale will move a little easier since I cant eat pasta and I really dont like potatoes I wont be having too many sides too often .... meat and veggies will be my dinner life til April 24th and who knows maybe I will realize I can live without sides and will be able to cut back on my pasta intake forever.
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I am a Protestant Christian as well, not a Catholic Christian, but I still usually use this as an opportunity to give up something. I am fasting today but haven't decided about what to give up. I already eat pretty healthfully. One year i gave up all "unnecessary" shopping. Try that, it's hard!!!! :)

I'm thinking about chocolate because I love it but I don't really eat that much of it, so I'm not sure how much of a sacrifice it would be. Oh yeah, no choc chips in my oatmeal anymore! That is what I will do. My monkey bars in the freezer will just have to wait until after Easter!
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    P.S. This should really be about a sacrifice for our Lord rather than a way to lose more weight! :)
  • atlraine
    atlraine Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    i think i will just have green leafy vegetables for lent, no fish, no eggs; OMG thats all i eat anyway

LOL! I am going to be on your team. I gave up junk food w/my son and we listed out all the abolished foods. I am sticking to veges.... no meat either!! Sort of a cleansing for Lent and my health!
  • hlokty07
    hlokty07 Posts: 33
    Options
    I am giving up sweets for lent this year. Oh Lord help me! lol
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    P.S. This should really be about a sacrifice for our Lord rather than a way to lose more weight! :)

I see it as honoring the temple that is my body. And, "to obey is better than sacrifice." :)