food tracking help!

Options
hello all, so i know how to track food and i know how to input new/my own foods...what i need help with is this: how do i track a food that 1.isn't in the search results, and 2.doesn't have a nutrution label.:frown: for example: a treat from a bakery.
i live in germany and their bakeries have SO many yummy treats, but there are no nutrition labels on them - they're fresh baked and sold that day. how in the world do i track these things? do i just search something similar like "jelly donut" or "bismark" even though german versions of these foods are different? the same with croissants, they have so many different TYPES of croissants that (i'm sure) have different nutritional values.
i could go on forever about the items in the bakery, but i'm sure you all get the idea. so please, ANY help with tracking these treats when i have them would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!! :smile:
thank you! :happy:

Replies

• wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

If the search results don't give you a result, there is an option to add to the database (towards the bottom of the page). Just click on that and add as much info as you can from the nutrition label on the food packaging.

As far as the bakery treats go, your only option is to guess. Or don't eat them :frown:
  • Lady_G
    Lady_G Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi

You can either pick something similar, enter the calories yourself or if you know the name of the pastry / treat enter this, you will be surprised what other MFP users have entered on this site. I find that I very rarely have a problem in finding items on this site.
  • MelanieHodgkiss1962
    Options
    I agree with LADY_G, most unbranded items have a name similar to branded stuff so put the name of the item in to search and it will usually bring up something similar.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest that you search on the name of the item or look for something similar. I've done this when I've had dessert at a restaurant - it is only a guess but I would rather get in an approximate number of calories than leave it out together.
    Another thing I found helpful was to have a look at supermarket versions of some cakes which gave me an idea of the calorie count. It also gave me a reason not to eat them when I saw how many calories!!
    It might also be worth looking in a local bookshop to see if you can find a local calorie counter book which would give you better numbers for German stuff.
    Good luck :)
  • paulamonroe
    Options
    thanks everyone! :) i already know about entering my own information, i do it for the things i cook at home and for the german stuff i buy that has a nutrition label...i just wasn't sure what i should do for the fresh baked stuff i buy like kaiser or kipfle rolls, croissants, and of course the delicious pastries:love: