Ankle Weights and Running

Options
I bought some ankle weights to wear while I do cardio with my Wii Fit -- step aerobics, running, rhythm boxing, etc. But when I opened the weights, there's a warning in large print on the poster that comes with them that says the weights are not to be worn for walking or running, ONLY for lower body toning exercises.

?

Why does it say that? Why should I not wear the weights for cardio?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    can harm your joints, You can probably get away with wearing them on your wrists if they fit, but the ankle is a no no, puts too much pressure on the ankles, and I believe the knees as well.
  • kittyb1
    kittyb1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The main reason is you can cause injury to your joints (knee, ankle, hips). Ankle weights are meant for toning/resistance...ie: pushing/pulling of the muscle, not for aerobic endurance which is what running/walking is for. You really don't want to put that added weight on and risk injury. Elite athletes will add weighted packs sometimes while running stairs or doing sprints but this is for speed....ie: training with the added weight will make them faster when the weight is removed.

Hope that helps a bit.
    Kitty