I'm here everybody, you can relax now.

Options
So this is my little introduction as I join the MFP ranks! Hey everyone!

I was coaxed to the join site by some of my gal pals at our all-women's message board. They've always been ultra supportive of the big dive into fitness and running that I took about four years ago. With my ups and down, I shed around 20 pounds, gained a ton of muscle, and ran my first marathon among a couple dozen other races. I was so proud of myself, my health and appearance for the first time in...well, as long as I can remember.

I grew up chubby, had a brief bout of athleticism in high school, but things totally went to pot in college. A break-up in my mid-20s sent me seeking refuge at the gym, which eventually turned me into a running monster and brought to a level of fitness that I didn't think possible. I got the running bug, with a minor weight lifting virus. But tragedy struck last winter when I came down with my first major injury: ITBS. I was stubborn, and long story short, I didn't rest when I should have, which prolonged my complications and took me out of the running to be ridiculously fit, become a marathon maniac and accomplish a ton of other really awesome goals. I lost nearly all of my motivation last fall, add in the holiday season and I've gained 15-20 lbs along, lost my muscle, and continue to battle new running injuries (I swapped to barefoot/minimalist running in December, which takes a lot of adjustment).

And then it hit me. In 4 months I'm going to be 30 years old. The big 3-0. Holy cow. In Sept 2009 when I was at my peak fitness level, I committed to being in such great shape that I'd enter a Figure Competition for my 30th birthday. With the complete regression of all my hard work, this isn't going to be possible at this point. However, it doesn't mean that I can bust my butt to recover as much of my strength and fitness before the start of a new decade.

On my last day as a 29 year old, I'll be running a Warrior Dash. It's a mere 5k course - but full of obstacles: junkyard, tires, walls, mudpits, fire, hills, etc. So it's no ordinary 5k and it requires a lot more than just running fitness. I'm determined to kick some butt and be in great shape to get through this. I will be a Warrior for my 30th birthday! A hot, fit, strong chick. I plan to kick off my 30s like a rockstar, Ke$ha-style, minus the drugs and blue lipstick.

So that's my history, my motivation and where I stand. I'm excited to have the tracking tools available at MFP for my food, the support of good friends - and hopefully some new ones! :)

Replies

• sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Age 30 did it for me, too. I've gained back 10-15 pounds since my first drastic weight loss, but yeah...the looming age 30 did it for me. I was like, "Is this really how I want to live my life for the next 30 years? Is this what I want to look like?" The answer was very clear.

You sound really determined, so I have a feeling you'll do it :)
  • TinaRodina
    TinaRodina Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You are going to do great! I have faith in you!!
  • remembertheharddrive
    remembertheharddrive Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks, you guys! I am totally pumped to get started.

Heading back to the gym and lifting the past couple of weeks has been such a rush. I forgot how awesome it was and how awesome I felt coming out of a tough workout. It was fantastic when I had to climb the stairs to the train last night to go home and my legs were trembly from the leg workout I'd just finished. I just kept praying that the train wouldn't pull in and force me to run up the steps to catch it. I don't think I would have made it!
  • aliciadjackson
    aliciadjackson Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    You know I'm one of your top supporters! You can do this! And I'm in awe of your kick *kitten* attitude. You inspire me!
    Oh and Ab Ripper is gonna KILL me tonight!
  • remembertheharddrive
    Options
    Thanks. It really helps that the hot guys that used to work out around the same time I did are still there. It makes me work extra hard because I tell myself that they can tell I gained weight and am not lifting half what I used to. Ha, like they noticed. In my gym fantasy, they did.

I'm going to my physical with my new doctor on March 28th. I hope to be down a good 5 lbs by then and well on my way to getting fit. That's my current short-term goal. A little over 2 1/2 weeks away. Maybe ambitious, but I expect that the first weight loss will happen quickly given the complete lifestyle change back. It's once I get down to 158 that I'll start struggling and have to kick it up a notch.

Anyway, I don't want to start of my relationship with her on a bad, unfit foot.
  • TinaRodina
    TinaRodina Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The way you talk about going to the gym makes me excited to get back into working out! :)
  • remembertheharddrive
    Options
    Haha. Get me started and I will wax poetic about the gym. It's borderline pathetic.
  • flab2steel
    Options
    That's were are all here for!
  • Eyesee
    Eyesee Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Haha, I love your topic. You seem awesome mamasita... what are you worried about? You got this! :bigsmile:
  • aliciadjackson
    aliciadjackson Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Most of the people at my gym when I go, aren't the same ones that were there a few months ago when I was going hard-core... sadly I have to push myself without any imaginations that anyone even notices me. But I do day-dream about how HOT I'm gonna be while I'm attempting to push myself on the treadmill or arc trainer!

You've totally got this ! Before long you'll be back to wanting to live at the gym and have the fitness level you had before! I'm rooting for you.......