Morning Workout Crash!! Need Help

Options
I have recently started working out in the morning before going to work. I am an elementary school teacher so I need all the energy I can get to keep up with my kids. My workouts are from 5:30 to around 6:20 am and afterwards I feel fantastic but around 10am I start to crash and by lunch time I am soooooo sleepy. Any ideas on what I can do or eat maybe post workout or for lunch to give me my energy back? Yesterday I almost dozed off during a planning meeting. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :smile:

Replies

• tweety170
    tweety170 Posts: 167
    Options
    What are you eating after your workout? And throughout the rest of the day? That will make a big difference if you're not properly fueling your body after a good workout. :)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    My mid morning snack is fruit- I like the sugar kick.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    How are your sleeping habits? What is your protein intake? I'm a therapist - so my morning workouts need fuel afterwards so I'm fully there for each client throughout the day....
  • HannahPastoor
    Options
    Try keeping some nuts or healthy granola bars in your drawer. So if you are unable to go get a snack you have one right there!
  • blackmos
    blackmos Posts: 1
    Options
    I try and eat about 15 carbs before my workout in the morning (about 6 AM) then at my morning break I eat about 45 carbs (around 9:15 AM). This helps me stay energized and hold me over until lunch. I also will chew gum if I get hungry before noon. Are you getting enough sleep?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Make sure you drink a protein shake immediately after working out. It will deliver protein to help your muscles recover and as long as you're using one with natural sugars instead of artificial sweeteners the sugars will replenish the glycogen stores in your muscles. That will help prevent fatigue later on. Also make sure you have a snack or meal a couple hours after exercising.
  • jackflash007
    Options
    Make sure you drink a protein shake immediately after working out. It will deliver protein to help your muscles recover and as long as you're using one with natural sugars instead of artificial sweeteners the sugars will replenish the glycogen stores in your muscles. That will help prevent fatigue later on. Also make sure you have a snack or meal a couple hours after exercising.

Does chocolate milk count? I've heard you can use that post workout???
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Eat protein and complex carbohydrates every 3 hours. When you exercise, you deplete your energy stores in your blood, muscles, etc. After exercising, you need to replenish those stores (ideally within 45 minutes). What's more, to keep energy and metabolism at good levels, you should replenish your energy stores every 3 hours or so.

If you finish exercising around 6:30am, then go to work, by 10:30am you've gone for four hours without giving your body any fuel! Get some food bars, between 100calories-200 calories, or some fruit and a complex carbohydrate like whole grain bread, and eat that as a morning snack around 9am. That should keep you going until lunch time. Also, when you finish your workout in the morning, immediately after you stop sweating, have 100 calories or so of complex carbohydrates and protein.

Let us know if this helps!
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options

Does chocolate milk count? I've heard you can use that post workout???

Milk contains a good amount of protein, carbohydrates, and fat. It CAN be used instead of a protein shake, but a protein shake provides more protein and complex carbohydrates per calorie, and usually include drastically less lactose (milk sugar) for those of us who are lactose intolerant.

A better option than a glass of chocolate milk would be a cup of nonfat yogurt with a few chopped up nuts or berries. Much less lactose, much more protein per calorie, and much less sugar than chocolate milk.
  • DeBiKin
    DeBiKin Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    This may sound cliche' with you being a teacher and all but I hear that an apple can give you more energy than a cup of coffee.
    Also, your other nutrients and the timing of the nutrient consumption are very important. If you have increased the demands on your body, your nutrient (vitamins, minerals, enzymes, etc.) demands increase as well, especially minerals if you are sweating out a lot of them during more intense workouts.
    If the salt you use is not iodized (and sometimes even if it is but you don't eat much of it), you may want to take kelp capsules occasionally to make sure that you are getting enough iodine to keep your thyroid happy. The adrenal system controls your energy levels.
    Good luck with your health and your truly important job. :-)
  • MissNewAttitude2015
    MissNewAttitude2015 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    How are your sleeping habits? What is your protein intake? I'm a therapist - so my morning workouts need fuel afterwards so I'm fully there for each client throughout the day....

I am sleeping 8 to 9 hours a night. Protein is pretty high as I usually incorporate a lot of chicken and egg (boiled no yoke) into my diet.
  • MissNewAttitude2015
    MissNewAttitude2015 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    There is a smoothie King right across from my gym. I am tyring not to make that my stop every morning but so far it has been. I usually have the Gladiator Smoothie since it is low in carbs, calories, and sugar. I will try the milk thing thought. Never thought of that one!!
  • dixiechicdana
    Options
    yes. low fat chocolate milk is a great recovery drink. Maybe even better than some sold. You can google it and see what I mean.
  • Lexie71
    Lexie71 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've been having this problem too and didn't connect it to changing my workouts to mornings. thanks for the tips!