HOW TO GET ENOUGH PROTEIN? Help!

Options
Hi, I'm new to this site... it looks great! It's my very first day and I'm finding I'm having a hard time getting enough protein. I'm not a meat eater; chicken and turkey is ok; I eat very little dairy as well. Any ideas would surely be appreciated. Thanks ever so much! :heart:

Replies

• tweety170
    tweety170 Posts: 167
    Options
    Do you like fish?
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    eggs
  • ljbrauer
    ljbrauer Posts: 62
    Options
    beans have a good amount of protein along with cottage cheese and yogurt (preferably low fat and low sugar...usually greek yogurt). hope this helps!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat meat it's difficult to get protein without also getting a lot of carbs. Vegetarian meat products have protein, and so do beans, but they have a lot of carbs for the amount of protein they contain. Unless you're very active throughout the day those carbs won't all be used for energy and will get stored as fat.
  • JenniferTasso
    JenniferTasso Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you like yogurt...there is a great one...Chobani Greek Yogurt, tastes like dessert, so many flavors, and usually 14 grams of protein in 6oz's....The plain (which can be substituted for sour cream, and can be added into shakes) has 18 grams of protein per 6oz......The fruit is on the bottom, but this stuff is delish, and keeps you full...Check out their website, Chobani.com
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    There are lots of Protein Shakes and bars, you want ones with over 20grams of protein. I like the Premier Protein shakes and the Pure Protein bars. The Jay Robb powder I have heard is great too, that you can sprinkle on oatmeal, cereal, yogurt just to up the protein! Make sure when you up your protein, you up your fiber as well.

Good Luck!
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    nuts and dairy. Cheese is good and so it cottage cheese, chocolate milk, mini baby bel, laughing cow, everybody's nuts pistachios, almonds, walnuts, peanut butter (in small doses).

I'm a vegetarian and I totally understand about needing protein. If you look around you shall find!

Good luck!
  • nancy7711
    nancy7711 Posts: 12
    Options
    No, sorry to say, I don't care for fish, unless I could find one that is white and flakey and doesn't taste like fish.... I had one once and it was delicious but I don't know what kind of fish it was... thanks for answering so quickly!
  • frida001
    frida001 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan - Soy protein shakes do the trick
  • IdaBetances
    IdaBetances Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Protein bars, protein shakes
  • remembertheharddrive
    remembertheharddrive Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Sub in high protein grains for basic rice and breads. The Ezekial 14:9 line is pretty high in protein, fiber and other nutrients - all derived from sprouted grains. I'd really recommend it, although its kinda pricey. Located in the freezer section. Try eating quinoa as well, instead of rice or couscous. Legumes are also major protein sources - beans of all kinds, chickpeas, soy products, etc.
  • nancy7711
    Options
    It sure does help! Thanks ever so much for answering!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    protein shakes, fish, eggs, black beans, natural pb (just serving size-great source of natural fats). Just try to add in protein as much as possible especially lean protein.
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    Fage 0% greek yogurt... One cup and 120 Calories and 20 Grams of protien! =]
  • nancy7711
    Options
    thanks Jennifer! Sure hope they have it in Ireland... I will check out their website.
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Easy. SUPPLEMENTS!

Your choices with supplements are endless, so I'll tell you what I do.

1) Protein Powder. In a blender, I mix a scoop of protein powder, a banana, a few frozen blueberries, and 4 ounces of orange juice to make a delicious and super nutritious elixir that contains (in the case of my protein powder) over 23grams of protein in just under 400 calories.

2) Food Bars. Odwalla Bars are amazing in every way. They are delicious, they are super nutritious, they are cheap! On Amazon.com you can get them for $0.80 cents per bar. Depending on the bar, you can get anywhere between 3-14grams of protein per bar, and the different bars are between 190-220 calories per bar.

3) Tofu, nuts, legumes, high protein vegetables, whole grains. There is a ton of protein in whole grains, vegetables, etc, that most people don't know about. A slice of whole grain bread probably has at least 2-3grams of protein in it! Also, Soy is the only vegetable protein with a complete amino acid profile (it provides all 8 essential amino acids), so if you don't eat much meat or dairy, and you don't supplement protein, make sure you get some soy in your diet to make it easy. Also, be sure you eat vegetables with whole grains, as you get a complete amino acid profile that you would not get if you ate them separately.

If you have any more questions, like what protein powders or supplements to go with, and what foods to combine to get a good protein profile, just ask.

Good luck!
  • Jocourtman
    Options
    I have to eat 160 grams of protein a day for my diet. i always start the day with 2 boiled eggs and a slice of wholemeal bread, i eat almonds and walnits throughout the day as a snack. and i also add myprotein - whey protein unflavoured protein to my meals like soups, spag bal etc add as much as u like i tend to add around 50 grams a day plus i eat masimuscle orange and dark choc bars as a treat which also gives you 20 grams of protein. hope this helps
  • TRuser
    TRuser Posts: 1
    Options
    Hummus!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    No, sorry to say, I don't care for fish, unless I could find one that is white and flakey and doesn't taste like fish.... I had one once and it was delicious but I don't know what kind of fish it was... thanks for answering so quickly!

it was probably haddock fish... It's so delicous!
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    Sub in high protein grains for basic rice and breads. The Ezekial 14:9 line is pretty high in protein, fiber and other nutrients - all derived from sprouted grains. I'd really recommend it, although its kinda pricey. Located in the freezer section. Try eating quinoa as well, instead of rice or couscous. Legumes are also major protein sources - beans of all kinds, chickpeas, soy products, etc.

I Love Ezekial Bread!!!