Losing weight when your broke.

Options
2»

Replies

• Chrizzle21
    Chrizzle21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    PLAY OUTSIDE!!!! Take the stairs, go on walks with friends, hit the hills, hike, swim, plain ole exercises like push ups...
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    being broke is the most awesome opportunity to lose weight because eating clean is very, very inexpensive! also you can get into all kinds of activities that you would otherwise not ha e time to do.

bicycling is a great exercise. if you don't have a bike, you can borrow one, i'm sure, or check the thrift stores/ church thrifts. we found our favorite bikes at a thrift store for $5 each. you can't even get a big mac meal for that! hahah!

also, gardening, growing your own food, or at least supplementing will give you food and exercise. you're on the right track!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    you can also offer to walk your friends' dogs. it benefits everyone.
  • ckkh
    ckkh Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just get moving! Walking is excellent exercise. Add hills and stairs to your route if you want. I have lost 18 lbs in 2 months by counting calories and walking an hour a day (I cover about 6K / 3.8mi). Exercise doesn't have to be fancy and it doesn't have to cost $$.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    We live a relatively spartan life by choice - no gym memberships, no cable, no fancy equipment at home.
    For exercising -

-Check out your local parks/natural areas - may be opportunities for hiking, walking, trail running, and so on. There may also be stationary equipment to use as well (even playground equipment could work..).

-We each have a pair of weights (but anything can be used that is holdable and weighable) and rotate workouts (30 Day Shred mostly) - which can be cheap used or free elsewhere (library, internet if you're so inclined).

-If you have a Wii, make the most of it! (we splurged and got the Move for PS3 - not sure what Wii offers but it's a nice rotation from the other activities).
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Get videos from your local library. There are some really good work out videos that are pretty cheap. (30 day shred is only $10 at walmart).

There is also youtube. There are a lot of older videos that people put up (you could always work out with Richard Simmons lol). This is a channel w/ some good videos & the subscriptions on the bottom are other trainers etc w/ work out videos.

You can also do basic working out. Walking, Jogging, Running, crunches, push ups etc. No work out equipment or videos needed. :)
  • chrystal559
    chrystal559 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. This has helped alot.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Walking is your best exercise right now. As you start to lose, look for some local trails. Branch out some. Also, when you are ready, some parks have the fitness trails - a trail with workout stations every 100 yards or so. AWESOME workout and you are outside. Local pool an option?

Another option - YMCAs offer hardhsip memberships. Take advantage of it if you can, and good luck!
  • Derm94
    Derm94 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Heck, losing weight should save you money for sure. You can walk or run outside or if you are into videos go to the library and check them out for free. Or check a local thrift store. Old workout videos are usually only a dollar or less. I know I save on drive-thru's for sure when I am dieting. Best of luck!! Jennifer
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If you have cable, the Discovery Fit & Health Channel has exercise programs and informational shows about health and fitness. Also, laundry detergent bottles make great hand weights.