3 DOLLAR MEALS

Options

Replies

• monkeyboy881
    Options
    ok lets try more with this approach i am walking into the store with 4 dollars what do i buy ... not so much cost per meal after dividing ingredients up
  • melissapoulin
    Options
    bump
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. Also arroz con pollo (chicken &rice) served with red beans.... Yum!
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    1 medium baking potato - 50cents
    1 can solid white albacore tuna - $1.50 (you could also use salmon or chicken)
    1 shallot - 20cents
    1 clove garlic (sorry you have to buy the whole bulb) - 70cents

Pantry items - Olive oil, salt (very little, there is tons in the tuna) and pepper, favorite spices

Total $2.90

Bake Potato until soft. While baking chop shallot finely and crush garlic clove into paste, place in bowl. Add tuna, 1 Tbsp olive oil, and spices. Combine. Cut open potato and fill with tuna mixture. Bon appetit!
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    ok lets try more with this approach i am walking into the store with 4 dollars what do i buy ... not so much cost per meal after dividing ingredients up

I would go for a can of tuna, crackers, and if you have money left over a fruit or veggie. You can always get the off brand crackers which will save you up to $1 or so depending on what you get, and tuna is inexpensive, filling, and great for you.
  • monkeyboy881
    Options
    1 medium baking potato - 50cents
    1 can solid white albacore tuna - $1.50 (you could also use salmon or chicken)
    1 shallot - 20cents
    1 clove garlic (sorry you have to buy the whole bulb) - 70cents

Pantry items - Olive oil, salt (very little, there is tons in the tuna) and pepper, favorite spices

Total $2.90

Bake Potato until soft. While baking chop shallot finely and crush garlic clove into paste, place in bowl. Add tuna, 1 Tbsp olive oil, and spices. Combine. Cut open potato and fill with tuna mixture. Bon appetit!

tears of joy NOW THATS WHAT IM TALKING BOUT THANKS HELEN!!!!!!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options

a sweet potato, a head of garlic. that should be about a dollar total. hopefully you have some olive oil and salt at home. prepare them in an obvious way :)
  • tweety170
    tweety170 Posts: 167
    Options
    Awesome ideas!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    very great topic! thank you for sharing!
  • iamthepreston
    iamthepreston Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I would go to McDonalds and get 3 double cheeseburgers. Saves time with the cooking and all.

They are about 500 cals a piece.

They sure do tase good and go down easy.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    bump
  • monkeyboy881
    Options
    ok so last-night was a rotisserie chicken cut skinned and shredded still have a bunch left and a crown of broccoli ill see what i come up with today most likely subway though
  • paulettac
    paulettac Posts: 101
    Options
    So happy I found this thread. Great ideas.

eggs and whole wheat bread... I love eggs and toast. For $4 you can have several meals.

whole wheat pasta, low sodium sauce and small package of hamburger.... Pasta dinner and enough for left overs the next day or 2

tuna salad

My family LOVES these less than $1 per serving
    tortilla (whole wheat if possible)
    pizza sauce
    your choice of toppings

spray one side of tortilla with pam
    top other side with pizza sauce and your choice of toppings
    place on baking sheet
    bake in oven until cheese melts and bottom is brown....
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    this is a great thread!
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Bean, carrot, and broccoli salad:

1 can mixed beans ($1) -- or dried beans if you have the time/inclination
    1 small head broccoli ($1 - $2)
    1 bag carrots or baby carrots (whatever is cheaper, or less expensive per unit) ($1-$2)

Pantry items: Olive oil, lemon juice, herbs & spices, salt & pepper, pre-minced garlic (or use the leftover cloves from one of the previous recipes!)

Recipe:
    Peel one or two medium 7" carrots then slice thinly on the diagonal.
    Chop half the head of broccoli into small bite-sized florets.

Using nonstick pan, heat carrots, broccoli, and one or two cloves minced garlic (1-2 tsp) on low-medium heat for several minutes, until broccoli begins to turn bright green. Use a drizzle of olive oil, or, if you want to cook with less fat, use two tablespoons of water and a few squirts of lemon juice to keep the veggies moist while cooking.
    Once the broccoli has turned bright green, drain and rinse beans, and add to pan. Add some more water/lemon juice.
    Season to taste with spices, salt, and pepper. I like using about 1-2 tsp each of dried marjoram, basil, and thyme, with a couple shakes of salt & pepper (salt may be ommittted, it's not really necessary). It's really hard to 'go overboard' with the spices here - you can pretty much add as much as you want, it just tastes better and better!
    Cook beans & veg for another 4-5 minutes.

Mix 1 tbsp olive oil with 1 tbsp lemon juice and pour over mixture to season.

Serve warm or refrigerate - makes a great lunch, should make 2 fair sized portions of ~400 cals each, depending on how much oil you use. Of course feel free to use whatever veg you prefer, you should be able to find some green beans or celery for pretty cheap at the grocery store too, and they go great with this.

...I am eating this for lunch right now!! :)
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    It all depends on what you consider to be a 3 dollar meal. 3 dollars for one person, for two people, for a family?

I crock pot like a crazy woman, and I've perfected the art of the $5-$10 soup/stew (10ish servings). All of the following are less than $2 a serving. Batch cooking is the way to go for low cost.

Chicken (or turkey) Stew (approx. 10 servings, 160 cals per serving)

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut in chunks and browned, or leftover turkey meat (great for avoiding "dry turkey leftover syndrome")
    3 cans cream of chicken soup (low sodium/fat if possible)
    carrots
    green beans
    corn
    potatoes
    any other veggies you like (I add mushrooms and leeks as well)
    sage to taste
    thyme to taste
    black pepper to taste
    flour to thicken

Put in pot, cook on low for 8-10 hours. Add the corn and green beans with about an hour left, or else they get mushy. I serve it in bread bowls if I feel like being extra fancy.

Ham and Lentil Soup (8 servings, 131 cals per serving)

http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotsoup/r/bl17c6.htm

Carrot and Honey Soup (8 servings, about 120 cals per serving)

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/carrot-soup-with-honey-recipe.html (I omit the sauteeing, and thus the oil)

My Spaghetti Sauce Recipe (12 servings, 150 cals per serving)

3 900 mL cans crushed tomatoes
    1 lb ground beef, browned
    red onion
    jalapenos
    green peppers
    mushrooms
    frozen chopped spinach
    zucchini when it's in season
    italian herb blend

Throw in crock pot, cook on low 8-10 hours, adding zucchini in the last hour or so if you're using it.

Wow these sound so yummy and easy! Thanks for sharing. I think I will make stew this weekend.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Bump so I can read this later.
  • Jovannyr
    Jovannyr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Great thread, wonderful ideas...bumping for later...:happy:
  • monkeyboy881
    Options
    Bean, carrot, and broccoli salad:

1 can mixed beans ($1) -- or dried beans if you have the time/inclination
    1 small head broccoli ($1 - $2)
    1 bag carrots or baby carrots (whatever is cheaper, or less expensive per unit) ($1-$2)

Pantry items: Olive oil, lemon juice, herbs & spices, salt & pepper, pre-minced garlic (or use the leftover cloves from one of the previous recipes!)

def gonna try this how yummy

Recipe:
    Peel one or two medium 7" carrots then slice thinly on the diagonal.
    Chop half the head of broccoli into small bite-sized florets.

Using nonstick pan, heat carrots, broccoli, and one or two cloves minced garlic (1-2 tsp) on low-medium heat for several minutes, until broccoli begins to turn bright green. Use a drizzle of olive oil, or, if you want to cook with less fat, use two tablespoons of water and a few squirts of lemon juice to keep the veggies moist while cooking.
    Once the broccoli has turned bright green, drain and rinse beans, and add to pan. Add some more water/lemon juice.
    Season to taste with spices, salt, and pepper. I like using about 1-2 tsp each of dried marjoram, basil, and thyme, with a couple shakes of salt & pepper (salt may be ommittted, it's not really necessary). It's really hard to 'go overboard' with the spices here - you can pretty much add as much as you want, it just tastes better and better!
    Cook beans & veg for another 4-5 minutes.

Mix 1 tbsp olive oil with 1 tbsp lemon juice and pour over mixture to season.

Serve warm or refrigerate - makes a great lunch, should make 2 fair sized portions of ~400 cals each, depending on how much oil you use. Of course feel free to use whatever veg you prefer, you should be able to find some green beans or celery for pretty cheap at the grocery store too, and they go great with this.

...I am eating this for lunch right now!! :)
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    bump!