BMI --and the definition of "healthy weight".

Options
I like what this person has to say about BMI. I think I can get to the top of my "healthy" BMI, but what about others, for whom this would mean absolute deprivation?

Read it, and tell me what you think.

http://elizabethmcclung.blogspot.com/2006/12/bmi-female-athletes-triad-eating.html

Replies

• gabrielled
    gabrielled Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I like what this person has to say about BMI. I think I can get to the top of my "healthy" BMI, but what about others, for whom this would mean absolute deprivation?

Read it, and tell me what you think.

http://elizabethmcclung.blogspot.com/2006/12/bmi-female-athletes-triad-eating.html
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I read the blog, and a couple other blogs from that author (I think her name is Elizabeth). She brings up a valid point - yes, using BMI alone as a measurement of "healthy" weight may not be accurate. When I use the BMI tool on this site - there is a disclaimer that says it does not accurately predict weight ranges for athletes, etc. The BMI tool should be used in conjunction with other tools such as tape measurements, etc - and like most things - taken with a grain of salt.

On another tanget - the blogger (Elizabeth) is clearly a disordered eater - she goes as far as to admit it and describes how she limits her food and exercises like a maniac in her blogs. Wow!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    wow, she's really angry about BMI huh? LOL, I guess if you take it as seriously as she does, I could see it making you angry. The thing about BMI is, it's a good tool, but that's it, it's a tool, it's neither perfect, nor should it be the only measurement you should go by. It's a general guideline for most people who are "normal". It's not for the very atheletic, it's not for women who are pregnant, it's not for adolescents, and it's not an exact measurement. If you are generally normal (I.E. you aren't a professional athelete, aren't morbidly obese, aren't in a state of pregnancy or post pregnancy, or generally in any situation that can alter your body state) then you can use it along with body fat %, measurements, weight, and general health as one of your indicators. It's crazy to use any one of the as the only measuring stick for your health. The body is far to dynamic for that.
  • gabrielled
    gabrielled Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    The body is far to dynamic for that.

Banks, I agree. I even can feel the differences in me from day to day. One day I feel like the Bionic Woman, and some days I feel like the gum on the bottom of someone's shoe. But, Elizabeth uses it to torture herself.

I am also not sure what qualifies as a serious athlete. I work out more than six hours a week, occasionally as much as ten. I really think I can reach that top of my BMI, but I don't know how long I can hold it. That is the key, isn't it. Being able to maintain it without beating yourself up. Time will tell.

G