NET Calories and Exercise = Lots of food

Options
2»

Replies

• spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I guess one thing I missed was if you need to eat your exercise calories? I remember doing weight watchers years ago and they said it was optional if you wanted to eat your exercise calories. I don't want to put my body in starvation mode, but right now I've been restricting to about 1200 daily and when I exercise I only sometimes eat more than that, should I be eating all my exercise calories?

Thank goodness you started counting calories and stopped counting points! Who knows how long you would have been in starvation mode. How long have you been eating NET under 1000? I hope not too long. My nutritionist said it can take a long time for your body to start working properly again, but it will bounce back.
  • roxie0920
    roxie0920 Posts: 41
    Options
    I just wanted to reinforce what someone else stated above. MFP automatically calculates the calorie deficit for you to lose you goal lbs per week. So, even if you do eat back your calories, you should still be under your calorie goal according to MFP.

My case is a little different. Becuase I am little, MFP won't let me set to anything less than a .5 lb loss per week. I eat 1200-1300 cals per day, but I don't eat back my exercise calories, so that I can up my weight loss to 1 lb per week, but I don't try for more than that. About once a week I'll eat back my calories, and I've found that it does not slow my weight loss at all.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to reinforce what someone else stated above. MFP automatically calculates the calorie deficit for you to lose you goal lbs per week. So, even if you do eat back your calories, you should still be under your calorie goal according to MFP.

My case is a little different. Becuase I am little, MFP won't let me set to anything less than a .5 lb loss per week. I eat 1200-1300 cals per day, but I don't eat back my exercise calories, so that I can up my weight loss to 1 lb per week, but I don't try for more than that. About once a week I'll eat back my calories, and I've found that it does not slow my weight loss at all.

Actually Roxie- though I am not sure how small you are- you too should most likely be eating your calories back and only losing about .5 lb per week. When we get closer to our goal weight, loss should slow to give your body the time and nutrients it needs to adjust. Reaching 1200 should generally be a warning sign that your weekly goal should be slowing down (you can also manually adjust your goal to stay at 1300, and just go with however much of a loss that is).

Caveat to that, however, is that you are obivously approaching this sensibly (without trying to immediately drop a bajillion lbs) and it currently seems to be working for you. I just wanted to throw it out there in case you do hit a wall, you should consider upping your calories.