I need iron, help?

Options
Hey, I've been anemic before and was told by a nutritionalist that I am again, but didn't have time to go to the doctor before I went back to france. I have been getting dizzy recently although I'm getting lots of food and protien and stuff. So i reckon I need iron, any ideas how to get it? I had steak today and broccoli, but only got 47g, when the food diary says I need 100.
Thanks! xx

Replies

• tracybarnhill
    Options
    Get a multivitamin that have extra iron in it..
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Raisins, spinach & potatoes (with skin) are all good sources too.
  • shellyxxxxx
    shellyxxxxx Posts: 143
    Options
    ive actually got my blood results today and im very low on iron so theyve percribed me iron tablets ,im just hoping they dont effect my weight loss , and yes you could get some vitamins with extra iron hope you get it sorted soon x
  • girl_brett
    girl_brett Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Post Grape nuts has 90 grams of iron per serving! That is a great one since everything else is very little! Cereals I think have the most! Hopefully you can eat cereal!
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    If you really are anemic, it's best to supplement. Most of us women should be supplementing iron!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Spinach is high in iron, but you have to have citric acid with it in order for the iron to be absorbed. So spinach salad with strawberries or oranges or spinach and tomatoes will work well. Good luck!
  • ChubbyCatapiller
    Options
    I am anemic as well, and I take a multi vitamin that contains 100% daily iron. You can also look into Total cereal has 100% too, also check into some other grain cereals. When I found out that I had an extreme low level, I googled a nutrition list of foods that have a high level of iron, you may want to do that.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Here's a link that gives a good comprehensive list of iron-rich foods, by category: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t043100.asp

Also, when MFP says you need 100, that's probably 100% of the daily recommended amount, since food labels don't list iron in grams, they list it as a %. That said, the list in this link does tell you how many mg of iron are in each food, and how many mg. different people should try to get.
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the fast responses. I will look into getting a multivitamin, grape nuts and spinach. And thanks for the website karensoxfan, I did google it before but kept getting kinda lame sites, this has a great list in it.

Thanks guys! (I love this community)
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I am anemic too, I take 325gg and and prenatal vitamins. I alternate them I am not pregnant but the higher dose makes me sick. My hair started falling out lack of iron. It takes the body about six months to build your blood level back up so make sure you don't stop taking them also you can eat............cream of wheat...........egg yolk..............dark green veggies..............beans............dried fruit
    I don't eat eggs or wheat products I have to take the pills my diet is poor in iron hope this helps.

PS stay on top of your iron intake like I said lack of it makes your hair fall out, blurred vision, lethargy,tiredness, tinnitus (ringing in the ears) pale skin.
  • sylvia1970
    sylvia1970 Posts: 134
    Options
    i've been anaemic in the past and multivitamins are a waste of time and money.

Look at your diet and if you still feel tired go to your doctors to get a blood test done. If your iron levels are 11 and above then you are normal.

Usually women tend to lose iron when they are on their monthly cycle so you need to up your iron count with foods containing iron at that time; nuts and pulses, red meat, there's loads of foods with iron in; research it online.

drink less caffine drinks like cola, diet cola, tea, coffee, chocolate drinks etc etc.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Spinach! Dark leafy greens. Also, if you have anemia, you might want to check out how your vitamin B levels are in your body (B12 specifically). Check with your doctor, if they haven't tested you. There's a blood test for it. It could help with the dizziness.