walking and jogging 5.0 mph???

rherrin5
rherrin5 Posts: 136 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
Is there a difference between walking 5.0 and jogging/running 5.0? I know that sounds like a crazy ? but My workout video I do 5 miles in an hour and they estimate it by BPM (beats per min) Ok heres my thing, I got on my treadmill and couldnt even make it a full mile at 5.0 I got close but when I do work out vid its no where near that intense!!! So im being told I just completed 5 miles in an hour but there is no freakin I went that speed but iv read you can crawl a mile and its the same cal burn as walking or running.... so is anyone as confused as I am right now???? Iv confused myself so much that iv forgotten what im wanting to know now LOL j/k HELP!!!!

Replies

• quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    I think it's very rare and difficult to really be able to walk 5.0 mph. I'm tall and have long legs and I'm a fast walker, but on the treadmill I can only keep up walking at 4.5 mph for so long. If I upped it to 5.0 mph, I know i'd be doing little skips to keep up with the treadmill! So believe what the treadmill tells you, as far as mph, not the workout video. As far as calories go, I don't know if walking and running a mile give you the same calorie burn, but when you're walking you have a lower heartrate over a longer period of time so it's probably not too far off.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    for me there is. Well I can't walk 5mph but I can walk or jog at 4.5 mph. When I am jogging my heart rate is higher then when I am walking.
  • I have wondered this exact thing...I have to run to keep up with the treadmill @ 5.0 and I do mean run... the video is fast paced but I am def not running. I have actually said out loud how could it be that pace when on the treadmill I can't hit that pace. So, I totally understand your question but I don't have an answer :) I hope someone can help!
  • rherrin5
    I have wondered this exact thing...I have to run to keep up with the treadmill @ 5.0 and I do mean run... the video is fast paced but I am def not running. I have actually said out loud how could it be that pace when on the treadmill I can't hit that pace. So, I totally understand your question but I don't have an answer :) I hope someone can help!

At least you get what im trying to figure out. Not that the rest of you all dont, its just Leslie Sansone is telling me I just did 5 miles but I sure in the heck didnt run it. Im losing weight at a great pace doing what im doing and I dont wanna mess it up I just wanna understand the concept. hahah very very confused on it is all.
  • KrisPage
    KrisPage Posts: 539 Member
    I tried to walk on my tredmill at home with the Biggest Looser walking workouts just to see how it compared. I was keeping pace with their workout and it was supose to be a 1 mile workout for each program, but while logging on my treadmill I only traveled just over 3/4 of a mile on 3 different 1 mile workouts. 1 was 0.75 miles 1 was 0.85 miles and 1 was 0.72 miles so averaged 3/4 mile.
    So not sure how they figure 1 mile workout from since it is a video walking in place.
  • The biggest difference between running and walking is walking you have one foot on the ground at all times. Running you have both feet off the ground periodically. This does create a minor difference in caloric burn at 5.0 mph. (Running forces the body to exert more energy to get both feet off the ground and therefor creates a more significant calorie burn). So, yes - you burn more calories running a mile than you do walking a mile. My advice? Chuck both what your treadmill says AND what your video says and invest in a heart rate monitor. That way, no matter what the exercise is and no matter how fast or slow you are going, you have a relatively accurate idea of how many calories you are burning. (they can be pretty cheap too!) Hope that helps!!!
  • abfritz
    abfritz Posts: 2 Member
    It's very possible that your treadmill is calibrated wrong. There is a way (you can look it up online) to test to see if your treadmill is actually reading pace accurately. Unless you have a high-end treadmill, it may be reading slower than you are actually going.

I can easily run a 11:00- 12:00 mile outside, but on the treamill if I keep my heart rate where I would have kept it on a run outside, my treadmill says I'm going at a 14:00/mile pace. Seroiusly! I know I'm not going that slow.
  • rherrin5
    Leslie Sansone you do more than walking in place. Side steps, knee lifts, kicks and 2 min boost at the end of each mile (jogging) so im wondering if it all just balances out as a general rule of 100 cals per mile burned. Any thoughts to that?
  • blh_1010
    blh_1010 Posts: 284 Member
    RHerrin5 - I always wondered about this too...but I just don't want to knock a good thing lol :) So I just log it like I calculated the miles with the timing and got 5.0 mph...so I don't know. If you figured it out, you know I want to know too :)
  • rherrin5
    I know. Its working for me so I think ill just leave it alone and not mess with it. If I wasnt losing I would do something differently but like you said dont knock a good thing heheh :) Thanks all!
  • Sway
    Sway Posts: 100 Member
    Bump any other opinions?? I guess it's working, but I'm not sweating like I do with the treadmill... am I still burning the calories??
  • scarecrow41
    scarecrow41 Posts: 116
    Treadmill= how fast the ground is moving beneath you.
    Walking= how fast you are moving over the ground.

I'm guessing there's a discrepancy.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    There are two separate issues here:

1. Is the "accuracy" of your video the same as the accuracy of the treadmill in terms of speed. I think the answer is obviously "NO". The video is describing a "speed like" effort, but, as you have found out, it does not resemble the real energy cost of walking 5.0 mph.

2. Is there a difference in energy expenditure between walking 5.0 mph and running 5.0 mph? The answer is: probably, but not always. As walking speed increases, the gait becomes less and less efficient, to the point where it can actually approach the energy cost of running at the same speed. For most people, that is a moot point, since they cannot walk fast enough to reach that level, but 5.0 mph is getting into that "gray area". Because of differences in gait and walking style, there is no way to accurately calculate the energy cost (i.e. calories burned) of walking at speeds greater than 4.2 mph. It's more of a rough estimate.
  • MrsZMartin
    MrsZMartin Posts: 165 Member
    I love Leslie Sansone! However, I don't think her pacing is correct. I suggest wearing a heart rate monitor to correctly monitor calorie burn. Her videos are fun, though, so enjoy!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    I can barely walk at 4.0mph because it's too fast for my calves. I usually walk at about 3.5-3.7mph and run at about 5.8-6.4mph. Don't worry about speed, though.
  • gandydancer
    gandydancer Posts: 171 Member
    Hi, My understanding is that the steps and the speed doing them is what makes up the 5 mile (for instance)..Also a trainer told me that if you jog for say 45 minutes and walk for 45 minutes you burn more running, however if you run a certain distance and walk that same distance it takes longer to walk it but it is the same in calorie burn because you are movinng longer...Hope that makes sense?
  • gandydancer
    gandydancer Posts: 171 Member
    PLEASE TELL ME HOW YOU ARE LOSING AT A GREAT PACE AS I WANT TO DO WHAT YOU AR DOING????? Thanks for the help.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    my $.02 - 12 minute miles (5 mph) is a jogging or running pace - nobody walks 12 minute miles (aside from race walkers)
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Hi, My understanding is that the steps and the speed doing them is what makes up the 5 mile (for instance)..Also a trainer told me that if you jog for say 45 minutes and walk for 45 minutes you burn more running, however if you run a certain distance and walk that same distance it takes longer to walk it but it is the same in calorie burn because you are moving longer...Hope that makes sense?

No, this is not true. If I run 1 mile, 1 burn ~85 calories. If I walk a mile I burn about 55 calories.
  • Sway
    Sway Posts: 100 Member
    Okay, so when doing the 12 min miles, then I'm really supposed to log those by that? I'm doing the Leslie Sansone 5 Mile Fat Burning walks. And on here it's jog, 5.0 mph 12 min miles. It just doesn't seem like I'm really burning that many calories. Great if I am, but maybe I should get a HRM... so confused.
This discussion has been closed.