Entering exercise if it isn't really exercise???

Options
So my girls and I take walks down by the river when the weather is nice. It is a very, very slow walk because my girls are 4 and 6. Our walks take about an hour and we do walk the wole time.....should I log this as exercise? It is not planned in our schedule but I also don't really consider this working out because I'm not sweating.......my weight loss hs slowed this week and I am wondering if it is because I have added these extra 150 calories three times this week!!

Please help! Much love, I really appreciate the support of the much more nutrionally sound!!!

Replies

• NAMsMommy
    NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I would say if its out of your norm, log it. =)
  • missvics
    missvics Posts: 112
    Options
    I don't exactly know the answer to that because I've wondered that myself. I have a pretty active job, but on days I don't work should I eat the same number of calories? I don't see how I burn the same amount of calories on those days. I think if you're not seeing loss after adding those calories then just stop eating them back. I try to no eat back all my exercise calories. Don't know if that helps, but good luck!!!
  • KellieR56
    KellieR56 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'd say yea. It's still doing something.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    Personally, I would log it. It's exercise.
  • EDBENAGLIO
    EDBENAGLIO Posts: 424
    Options
    to each there own but if you need to know 100% then get a hrm and wear it most of the day and eat to that. that is what i do and lose about 5 lbs a week
  • jkq2003
    jkq2003 Posts: 27
    Options
    I would probably add it since it is actual exercise but I would not eat those calories back during the day like the system usually advises when you add in exercise.
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Personally I feel that exercise is about elevating your heart rate to burn calories. I liked the comment made about the HRM. I think that is the only way to know if you should be eating back those calories. Me??? I wouldnt.
  • Beesmom23
    Options
    Yep, I say add it!:smile:
  • fitnezrox
    fitnezrox Posts: 41
    Options
    I would say do not log it. Fat burning begins when you have an elevated heart rate and you are sweating (during your workouts you should be able to talk, but not want to talk). Things like a leisure walk with the kids is movement but I would not log it as if it were a workout. Think of it just as great quality time with your children and bonus movement, that will help you tone your legs and bum over time. Same applies for things like cleaning the house and yard work (unless you are working so hard that you can talk but don't want to, most don't clean or do yard work to that extent though.)
    You would be doing yourself a disjustice by logging too many exercise calories burned, even if you don't eat them all back, you still want to get the most accurate assesment of what you are doing that is working and what you might need to shift. Also I would not reccomend eating all your exercise calories back. The entire reason for working out is to have a caloric deficit, get more toned, and healthy heart/lungs. It takes 3500 calories burned to lose 1# of body fat. That is obtained either through workouts and less caloric intake, workouts only, or reduced caloric intake only. Being honest with what you truly eat and burn off is going to give you the results that you are seeking.

Best of luck in your journey to healthy living
    Have a beautiful and healthy day
    Kim
  • michellehorvath
    michellehorvath Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think I'm with you guys about the elevatedheartrate!! I'm not one to log everyday items as "exercise" just add more calories...but I thought when I was loosing like normal it was because I wasn't looking at logging those types of calories! Perhaps it is just a slow week....I'm not going to add them and hope for more loss next week!

Thanks!

4347429.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I would add it.
    :smile: On Livestrong.com they have several entrys for slow walking. For someone of my weight (145) the calories burned would be:
    Walking 2 mph (30 min/mile)--226 Calories/hour
    Walking for Pleasure--230 Calories/hour
    Walking for Social Reasons (to neighbor) --164 Calories/hour
    Walking On Grass--329 Calories/hour
    Walking to or From Outhouse (to is faster)--164 Calories/hour
    :flowerforyou:
    They also had "Playing With Kids:Moderate Effort"--348 Calories/hour
  • lucy1508
    lucy1508 Posts: 10
    Options
    I wouldnt log it personally, I prefer to know that when my heart rate is raised that is when im burning cals.
    Id buy a HRM.
  • michellehorvath
    michellehorvath Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    So along the HRM lines then....does anyone know of a cheap one that works well enough?? I don't need any bells or whistles just calories burned! I just can't committ to the money right now.......I know it is one nigt of eating out but was going to kind of wait and see seeing as how I have been losing on just this (free) system so far! Thanks
  • EDBENAGLIO
    EDBENAGLIO Posts: 424
    Options
    So along the HRM lines then....does anyone know of a cheap one that works well enough?? I don't need any bells or whistles just calories burned! I just can't committ to the money right now.......I know it is one nigt of eating out but was going to kind of wait and see seeing as how I have been losing on just this (free) system so far! Thanks

i got 2 pro-form hrm from walmart for $49.99 one for me and one for the wife. we use them every day i wear mine for about 12hr a day

i hrm if used right can and will allow you to burn more with out going overboard friend me if you have any question
  • wifeofsnoh8r
    Options
    I found one for 50 dollars. Have not bought yet, but will soon