Wedding dress question! Help ladies!

Options
2»

Replies

• rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have seen several posts saying you don't need to buy your dress that far in advanced, but just be warned - it isn't just where you get your dress, but who the designer is. I purchased a Maggie and they told me at the shop when I tried it on that if I went with that particular dress I must order it 7 months prior AND allow time for alterations. Start shopping around now - it might take you weeks to find the 'one'!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My niece got her dress in a size 12 from David's Bridal, and dropped to a tiny size 4 by the wedding. They ordered a whole new dress for her at no extra charge!

Check with the salons and see what they suggest. They see this all the time. :smile:
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Wow...your niece lucked out. David's Bridal refused to do the same for me...even though my cousin exchanged her dress at no cost at the same store (of course that was years before I got married). Must depend on who the owner is at the time...lol.
  • allornothinggrl
    Options
    Congratulations! I have been in your boat as a bride and as a bridesmaid. Davids Bridal told me they can safely take a gown in 2 sizes and have the "design" of the dress maintain it's integrity. If you know what size you will be at your goal weight, you could safely order a size or two bigger than that and have it taken in from there.

When I was a bridesmaid we went to buy dresses when I was 6mos pregnant...I had 4 mos to lose the baby weight before the wedding. I gained a lot of weight with my baby. Before the baby I wore a 14 so i ordered a 16 just in case. Well I went crazy exercising and dieting because after having the baby I couldn't zip it up all the way. The dress could've been altered to a 12. I got down to a 10 unbenounced to me and let's just say the dress was falling off me at the wedding. I was very uncomfortable, pulling at it the whole night.

As a Bride I ordered a dress 2 sizes smaller than I was at the time of fitting (to the salesperson's dismay) knowing that the dress could be taken in 2 more sizes from there...taking me down a total of 4 sizes...so if I lost it all I was covered and if I didn't lose it all I would still be fine...it's true they can't add material. can alway take it away :)

So as long as you don't lose more than anticipated, this way works Good Luck :)