what about daily activities?

Options
Just curious as to whether or not daily activities are considered in our daily allotment of calories? I'm a Kindergarten teacher and get quiet the work out chasing after little ones all day! I also work in a very long school and when I have to go anywhere from my classroom it's a good 5 min walk! All those trips to the photocopier and back really add up when I'm walking pretty fast, but I don't record that because it's not really "exercise"...so, again, when I entered all my info and the site told me I could eat _____ calories, does it account for daily activites?

Replies

• mellybelly
    Options
    Just curious as to whether or not daily activities are considered in our daily allotment of calories? I'm a Kindergarten teacher and get quiet the work out chasing after little ones all day! I also work in a very long school and when I have to go anywhere from my classroom it's a good 5 min walk! All those trips to the photocopier and back really add up when I'm walking pretty fast, but I don't record that because it's not really "exercise"...so, again, when I entered all my info and the site told me I could eat _____ calories, does it account for daily activites?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Wear a pedometer to work. If you walk over 8,000 steps, change your "activity level" to lightly active or active (if over 10,000 maybe). That will change your allotment of calories.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Melly,
    First of all welcome. I work in Kindergarten also and wear my pedometer and most average days I walk about 4.5 miles while I am at school. I am only there half a day so if you are there a full day you are likely getting more. I have mine set at lightly active to account for that. You could keep track of it if you want by putting your settings at sedentary and then adding whatever your pedometer says at the end of the day. I have tried that also but it doesn't seem to equeal out at the end of the day. I ended up with alot of calories that I didn't want to consume. I didn't want to change to active because my activity is not that much I don't think. It is alot of spurts of activity from one thing to the next, groups, recess, lunch that sort of thing.

Hope that helps. Enjoy.

Eve:flowerforyou:
  • rtamayo
    rtamayo Posts: 85 Member
    Options

Yes, you have to account for all the calories you burn! I found a website the other day with a calorie calculator that tells you how many calories you burn just doing your day to day life, just to live, of course now I can't find it, but I know mine was around 1600 calories, not including what i do to work out. I think the 1200 calorie diets are dangerous and to hard to stick to, therefore people get discouraged because they are hungry all the time, and you should not be hungry all the time! I am on a 1500 calorie diet and usually I can stay below it, but those 300 calories make a difference