Alleviating SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome Symptoms

Options
ashleynicoleb
ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
I recently stopped taking medication cold turkey and have been experiencing absolutely awful withdrawal effects. I've researched it and have come to the conclusion that I'm experiencing SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome. I've contacted my doctor today to figure out what to do but won't hear back from him until tomorrow since they are closed. If anyone has gone through this, what are some ways of alleviating the pain? I feel sick to my stomach and have intense migraines no matter what headache medicine I take. I can't seem to shake it :( Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated..thank you in advance.

Replies

• sammybey
    sammybey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Why did you quit cold-turkey? How long ago?

If you can, I would recommend resuming your normal dose, and asking your doctor to help TAPER you off the medication, slowly.
    If that does not work, you could always be switched to an SSRI with a longer half-life (such as Prozac/fluoxetine), and taper from there.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there's anything you could do for the headaches/nausea beyond what you are already taking- maybe some warm compresses, drawing up a bath, drinking ginger tea?

(I am a pharmacist...just giving a helping hand, but must add-- for liability's sake, I above all recommend speaking with your doctor!)