Any info from runners on Mortons Neuroma and running?

Options
Any runners out there familiar with Mortons Neuroma? I have it in my left foot. So far since I started this journey I have only been walking, mostly on the treadmill, using the eliptical and the stairs. I have been toying with doing the Couch to 5K but am concerned with the foot. Right now I am doing a 9 to 11 incline on the treadmill at 4 to 4.2 MPH. Does anyone have any idea whether running will be worse than the walking with the Mortons Neuroma. Any runners that deal with it? Thanks in advance for any help.

Deb

Replies

• doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if I will be of help or encouragement. I have a M.N. in my left foot as well. I have been living with it for at least two years. As the years go by, the painful episodes have worsened. Last year I had to decrease my running b/c of the neuroma. I was able to run through the pain, mainly b/c of the endorphins kicking in during exercise allowed me to tolerate it. It was when the running was over was when the pain set in. I barely crawled away from my last 5K of the season and that was in July. I tried a triathlon in August and again walked around barefoot when it was over. So, needless to say, it has affected my ability to train for races.

This year was the first year that my biking was affected. I wear the clip in shoes for my bike and do indoor cycling classes.

However, what truly hurts me the worst much more than running/ biking, etc is wearing a healed shoe. This is near impossible to avoid when I need to dress up for work.

With all of this said, I have decided to have foot surgery to have the nerve removed. It is scheduled for the last day of March.
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yes, I totally understand the shoe issues...I work in an office too and had a different foot issue prior to this one so for the past 3 years I have had to be extremely careful with shoes. If you can keep me in mind and let me know how the surgery does...I have considered it but don't feel mine is that intolerable...yet. I have no doubt it will become that way. Good luck!