Is Truvia really natural???

Options
2»

Replies

• jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    No, it comes from a plant molecule like all sweeteners but then is synthesized in a lab to make it sweet and mass produced. It's been around for awhile, but they just revamped their advertising. It's nothing special. Just another artificial sweetener.

Thats what I was thinking, they did the same thing with Splenda when it first came out, just another way to sell something!!
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I like the "stevia in the raw" product more than truvia. They say that its been used in Japan for decades with no problem. I choose to think of it as natural: You can grow the stevia plant and then stir the leaves in your drink... but I'm going to buy the product in a package-its easier!

I use stevia in the raw as well. It has dextrose (I think.. maybe erythritol) added which is a "chemical" (albeit from a plant) so I don't really consider it "natural." I've seen stevia plants sold at Home Depot which you could use to make your own extract if you wanted.
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I too use Stevia but not Truvia unless I run out and a store doesn't have any Stevia. I don't know the scientific process, but I read an article before Truvia came out that said basically "who knows what they will do in the processing to make Truvia, it's a safer bet to use regular Stevia".

I once used Stevia that was still in dried leaf form, like a loose tea I bought at a co-op. It did sweeten my beverage, but you need a "tea ball" to put the stevia dried leaves in. If you're super concerned with the natural-ness of it. . . see if you can find that. Be hard to sweeten anything other than a hot beverage with that, though.
  • BirdsofaFeather
    BirdsofaFeather Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Maple syrup is natural but you're not squeezing it from the tree.

Actually, maple syrup that you buy at the grocery store is HIGHLY processed and is not natural. It usually has a lot of additives including flavoring and colors. So make sure you're actually reading the label. If the ONLY thing on the ingredient list is maple syrup, then it's natural. But if there's anything else on that label, it isn't.
    Hence, why I used the words maple and syrup. I know the difference between Mrs. Butterworth and 100% maple syrup.