which do I believe?

Options
I recently went out and bought a HRM so that I could be more accurate with my calories burned especially when I'm doing stuff like circuit training or aerobic classes. I just bought a simple watch one where I have to actually tell it when to take my heart rate but I'm very good about doing it every couple minutes while I'm exercising. I wanted to see how accurate it was so I wore it while I was on the elliptical tonight and it said I had burned more than 100 calories over what the elliptical said. I don't know which one I should go by and now I wonder if the HRM I bought is overcalculating for everything. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• SeaShell33
    SeaShell33 Posts: 141
    Options
    I just returned one like that and got a polar ft4. The first one said I burned 730 cal on this walk I do and when I got this one (it has a chest strap) I really burn about 430...big difference!
  • LindaSueBakk
    LindaSueBakk Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You really need an HRM with a chest strap. One of my friends had one of the wrist ones and it was off up to 300 calories in one work out. Sorry, but that's the way it is!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar with chest strap, mine usually is between 50-75 calories lower than the machine. Not sure about how accurate the HRM's without chest strap. Maybe just to be on the safe side just go with the lower one...?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I hate to tell you this, but the ones where you have to tell it to take you heart rate are simply not accurate in any way. Just because something has a number on it doesn't mean the number means anything as no one is out there enforcing it. Here is a good article on it http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I have the Mio wrist one and I find it under calculates b/c it's < $50 compared to chest strap ones. The 2 elliptical machines I use in the gym are off by 100 calories b/c they are different model years, same brand. Best option, get a chest strap one. Better option, MFP is actually very accurate, just use that but don't eat 100% back of your exercise calories, leave 100 cals or more for error.
  • mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    yes you need a chest strap HRM. typically you should be burning between 100 - 120 calories every 10 minutes.. anything over that is probably incorrect