beginners running question

Options
I want to start running, but I'm not a huge fan and have some reservations.

is running really the quickest way to drop pounds? (provided you have a well balanced diet of course)

I'm also worried about water retention. currently, it's 110degrees + here in the desert and all this bloating is depressing me. I've heard you don't necessarily see results on the scale right away. is this true?

just trying to find something that will work for me. I'm getting tired of my dvd's.

thanks!

Replies

• vegasmellie
    vegasmellie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I want to start running, but I'm not a huge fan and have some reservations.

is running really the quickest way to drop pounds? (provided you have a well balanced diet of course)

I'm also worried about water retention. currently, it's 110degrees + here in the desert and all this bloating is depressing me. I've heard you don't necessarily see results on the scale right away. is this true?

just trying to find something that will work for me. I'm getting tired of my dvd's.

thanks!
  • Starlightdusk
    Starlightdusk Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have read a few things that as far as weight loss goes walking is just as effective as running, and running is much harder on your bones and joints.
  • JMAMA
    JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I started running with the couch to 5k running program (you can google it). I love this program, it is very gradual and now I can go for 3 miles without stopping. Make sure you have a good pair of shoes, this also helped me alot! Good luck:wink:
  • nopogal
    nopogal Posts: 162
    Options
    It doesn't have to be strenuous on your joints if you do it right. First, you definitely need some good running shoes. Since you're a first time runner, I would recommend going to a running store to get fitted. You normally need a shoe 1/2 to 1 size bigger than what you wear since your feet swell quite a bit. Also, you want to get your gait analyzed when you're there (what happens is you usually run barefoot for a minute or so and they either record you or watch you to see where your foot naturally hits the ground). That will help determine what type of shoe you need. People really underestimate the importance of good shoes and then get injured. DON'T. It's important.

Anyway, it can turn into a really fun way to lose weight and there are always new challenges awaiting you, no matter how good you get.

Don't run in too hot of temperatures though--you'll get dehydrated too fast!

When I started, I basically just walked a few minutes, ran a few minutes and gradually worked my way up. 4 years later and I'm still running and have finished many races, including my first half marathon back in May. Good luck!
  • roshong06
    roshong06 Posts: 196
    Options
    I read that power walking can burn just as many calories as jogging. And it really is much easier on your joints. Just be sure to keep hydrated in that heat...110+ OMG...I could never handle it...I complain about 95+ here in Florida....Good luck to you.
  • mlck2323
    mlck2323 Posts: 87
    Options
    running is one of the quickest, and most efficient way to burn calories. so if you are interested in putting the time in to get into the sport then go for it!!

I work at a running store and fell in love with running a few years ago. I am training for a fall marathon now. What the two previous posts said are right on! find a running specialty store and make sure you are fit into the correct shoe for your foot and body type. Look into walking/running groups at the store (they will have info)--someone to keep you motivated and accountable.

Good luck!
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I agree with what has been said before..

1) check out the Couch Potato to 5K training program www.coolrunning.com. if you have an IPOD there is a wonderful podcast of the program that guides you through it.
    2) walking vs. running - what is going to help you lose weight is the amount of time you are burning fat - or working in your target heart rate - not above and not below. So you can walk for 1 hour or run for 30 minutes (those are just example times..) and burn the same calories depending on where your heart rate is during the time you are exercising....
    3) Get a good pair of running shoes if you are going to be doing any serious running program.
    4) Get out to run very early in the morning or later at night when the temps are lower - also, look into local community colleges, colleges, rec centers that may have indoor tracks. It might be a little more out of your way but safer in that kind of heat....
    5) running is the best for working all muscles in your body and the cardio is the best for building those core muscles thus losing belly fat which is linked to heart disease.

good luck!
  • GrnEyz
    GrnEyz Posts: 360
    Options
    I don't think you HAVE to run to drop the pounds. It's all about getting your heart rate up. So if you go for a brist fast walk and get your heart rate up, it'll burn just as many calories as if you were running. Plus, that is easier on your joints and feet that running.