Do you think a preteen shouldn't try to stay healthy?

Options
So many adults underestimate kids and teens and think they should shut up and eat their ravioli. I for one think us preteens should be able to exercise and portion our food. It's not like I'm anorexic. What is your opinion?:flowerforyou:

Replies

• AbbyIsWangsterful
    AbbyIsWangsterful Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    So many adults underestimate kids and teens and think they should shut up and eat their ravioli. I for one think us preteens should be able to exercise and portion our food. It's not like I'm anorexic. What is your opinion?:flowerforyou:
  • michlindsay23
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with watching what you eat and exercising, just be healthy about it. You really need to make sure you are getting the right amount of calories in your system. Don't starve yourselve. It is not healthy for you to loose more than a pound a week. Go slow and you are more likely to keep the weight off. This is coming from someone who wishes she would have watched what she ate and exercised a little more as a teenager.
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    For a person that has not reach their full height yet and is not morbidly obese, I have heard the person should maintain their weight and let their body grow into it. Of course, that's only if the person is over weight.

I have two childern and I think the best way for them to maintain a healthy weight is no pop, only one real juice per day, one small sweet per day, pretty much unlimited fruit and veggies, mostly whole grain carbohydrates and lean protein.

Ravioli in limited quantities.

I have read some of the other threads you have started and I am sorry it seems everyone is down on you. Please do consider the concerns raised, the people on the site are generally very supportive. I think many are concerned and want the best for you.
  • lisatownsend
    Options
    what the girl said above me i agree i just want whats best for you ! i have a little girl my self well 3 teenagers girls and 2 teenage boys ! im a mom and just want you not to stave yourself it would hurt me so bad if i found out you were hurt in any way couse you starved yourself or something ! just have your mom change everything you eat to healthy stuff ! more fruits and veg. ok
  • AbbyIsWangsterful
    Options
    Thank you, both of you. I'm definitely not food. It just that due to my gene, I have to watch and instead of a diet, have a healthy lifestyle choice (measuring my calories, exercising, etc.) to stay at a healthy weight :):flowerforyou:
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    what the girl said above me i agree i just want whats best for you !

That's for call me a girl!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Didn't think I'd hear that again. :bigsmile:
  • lisatownsend
    Options
    what the girl said above me i agree i just want whats best for you !

That's for call me a girl!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Didn't think I'd hear that again. :bigsmile:

im sorry i couldnt remember your name i just want to help !
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    all i can say is that, speaking from experience , i am very glad you are willing to learn how to be healthy the right way. This site is an awesome place to learn about calories, and how to manage you food, with a wonderful support system, however I also believe strongly that a girl that is growing, such as yourself, should be on maintenance calories, and just aim for healthy portions and choices with exercise to keep healthy and not become overweight.
    I feel so strongly about this because
    My story is this:
    (and im sure that many on this site can share their similar experiences)

i am also predisposed to being overweight, and when i was 14 i decided to stop eating all together. This went on for about six months, i lost waaaaay too much weight (i went from 182-125 in about a half a year on about 200 calories or less a day.) needless to say i was very very sick. While in the hospital i had to have my gall bladder taken out, and i was the youngest one they had ever seen at that hospital for that surgery... anyway,
    i continued to eat in an unhealthy manner and went through phases of food and no food... not knowing just how badly i was harming my body!!!

I am now working on the healthy way to lose weight, after one of the worst ana bouncebacks yet.

The struggle sucks! but im glad i have all of yall for therepy's sake!

Abby, keep up counting if thats what works for you, and just keep learning about nutrition and how it works for you. I wish i had a food diary this accessible with calorie counts when i was younger, then maybe i would have never gone to the extreme that i did, resulting in a lower metabolism today!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I think that healthful eating and a good activity level should be encouraged at any age.

But (you knew there'd be a but, didn't you?) children and teenagers do have different nutritional and caloric needs than adults, and you and your mother should research them, and adjust your diet accordingly. You are growing, and you need to respect that.
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I think that it is wise for all people of all ages to be health concious, limiting refined sugars and bad fats and adding more fruits, veggies, and exercise.
    However I strongly believe and suggest that young adults and pre-teens who have overwhelming concerns should seek out personal and professional advice before begining a strict diet and exercise program. Start with your regular doctor as well as a nutritonist. You are still have a growing body and mind and there are very serious and permanant damages that could result from crash dieting and obsessive exercise. I have been there and done that and I only wish my parents would have recognized my unhealthy obsession, and that I would have had the chance to be educated by a professional on the benefits, risks, and realisitc expectations concerning weight, exercise, dieting etc. I certainly wish I would have known then what I know now, because those poor choices I made at a young age have and still affect my body and the way I think about myself image and food, exercise choices.
    I'm not telling you that you are wrong to be aware of your health and weight, I just really think you need a few meetings with a doctor and a nutritionist, and maybe even a personal trainer so that yout have professional advice and can gain more knowledge to becaome a healthier person.
  • jill927
    jill927 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree they should try, but a doctor should be consulted and a parent should probably be on board, because that is about the time that kids are also very likely to form bad habits of dieting that can lead to eating disorders. Please don't try to do it on your own. Talk to your doctor about a good food/exercise plan to follow.
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    hon i didnt realize just how young you are!!!

its great for you to want to be healthy, but you should seek help from your parents if you think you really need to lose weight for some reason... you definitely dont look fat!

Dont let this get out of control, because I am telling you, you would only regret it! get at least 1200 calories a day or more, but never EVER any less at your age especially!
  • areason4stars
    Options
    Trying to stay healthy and only eating 1000 calories a day plus exercising are no where close to the same thing. For an adult its not wise to drop below 1200 net calories, and for a preteen it would be even less wise.

Your picture shows your a very beautiful girl. I agree its good to stay active and make healthy choices when it come to food, but limiting calories that much .. its not a healthy choice.

Good Luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Options
    I've been reading your threads, too, and, as a mom, I am very concerned about you. There is a distinction between staying healthy and becoming pre-occupied with weight loss (the post that caused me the greatest concern was the one about how disappointed you were to have lost only 4 pounds in one week instead of 6).

I definitely agree that your view of your body, your nutritional needs, and your exercise should have adult involvement. This is not because you can't figure things out on your own. I'm sure you can. But the difference for a preteen is that your needs (because you are growing and your brain and bones and muscles are developing) are different than an adults.

I also think that if you have a physical condition (a gene???), then your need for monitoring and supervision is even greater.

Please, please talk to someone "real" like a parent, doctor, teacher and ask for "real" help instead of cyber-help which really can't assess your specific needs.
  • sapphyre0702
    Options
    It just that due to my gene,

Hi,

I don't know if I am understanding what you mean. Is there a specific gene that has given you a health condition? Or do you mean your "genes" and you have a slower metabolism?

Best of luck to you. I don't think it is ever bad for anyone to learn how to eat and live healthy for life, I think it is nice that you are focused on being healthy now, but if it is a specific gene that is causing a health problem metabolically I'll bet a nutritionist is a really good idea to help get you started.

Good luck and remember everyone here really is supportive and wants everyone to succeed, so don't take it personally, think of it more like you have thousands of people that are on your side, not thousands of people that want to hold you back! Good luck!
  • AbbyIsWangsterful
    Options
    Oh, no I have quick metabolism. Yes, genes. Sorry. My genes (I don't want to say "fat genes" but that's what it is) are genes that make me have to work for my weight because if I were to be a pig, I'd be overweight (some people can hog out all day and not gain a pound)

:flowerforyou: Thanks!