What does a slice of cake look like?

skinnyhopes
skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
I'm going to a birthday party tommorow, so obv there's gonna be cake. I don't want to eat too much, thinking it's fine. Is their a visual representation I can see?

Replies

• omg this is such an amazing question. i always wonder the same thing !
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Surely it is MUCH smaller than the "slice" of cakes that Safeway (Vons) sell. 2 people could split one of their slices. :laugh:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Depends entirely on the cake itself and the person doing the cutting/serving.

If it's a 9" -10" two layer round cake an average slice would be around 1/8 of the cake. Though some taller, denser, or more calorie dense cakes, will note a slice as being 1/10 or even 1/12 of the cake (you'll see that a lot on cheesecakes).

If it's a sheet cake, then the typical average size piece for the standard yield of servings sizes would be approximately 2"x2" in a party situation. But most bakeries factor their serving sizes based on 1.5"x2" slices when they give the approximate servings one would get out of a quarter, half or full sheet cake.

About 3oz is approximately the right weight for a serving size of non-cheesecake or ice cream cake cakes. And if it's a sheet cake style, try to get a non-edge piece since they'll have a lot less frosting than a edge or especially a corner piece.
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    That was great advice.
  • MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    Wow wolfchild, awesome response! I'm saving that info.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    My pleasure. I used to work in a specialty food store that also had a full kitchen and did catering for four years, as well as working at weddings (in a non-food related capacity, but always around the cakes there) for three years. So I've got a decent amount of totally random food knowledge. lol
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    I tend to go for just under 10% of the cake if its a round cake. Obviously if it is one of those huge birthday cakes or square cakes I just go for a piece that is the equivalent of about 6 or 7 fork filled bites.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    What does it look like? Lovely?
  • colombiana444
    colombiana444 Posts: 133 Member
    the size of.... a cupcake? or the size of a small Fuji apple lol
This discussion has been closed.