Can you gain 4 pounds overnight!!?

Options
I have been doing good sticking to my diet, but last night I decided to really enjoy myself. I went out with friends and ate and drank everything in sight. The problem-This morning I weighed myself and had gained 4 pounds overnight!!!! Is this possible??
I am freaking out.

Replies

• mmelaniewalters
    Options
    dont worry , it will go as quickly as it appeared as long as it was a once in a blue moon thing .. its when its regular over indulgence that it sticks!
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    Most likely water weight from sodium (assuming the foods you indulged on them were fairly high i nsodium).
  • kpower1983
    kpower1983 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Are your scales accurate??!

That is nuts, but the good news is if it went on overnight, surely you could drop it overnight too?? - Looking on the brightside!

Don't worry, keep on track and it will come off again, it's good to splurg once in a while!!!

:drinker:
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    It is water weight, give it a day or two for your body to purge the bad stuff... It is fine
    To gain 4 lbs you would have had to eat 14,000 lbs more calories then you should have for the day

It freaks you out a bit, but you did not gain 4 lbs
  • ashleyd835
    Options
    yes and no...but you would have to consume 3500=1pd so to gain 4pds you would of had to eaten 14,000 calories. if you ate alot it might still be digesting..think about it like this...if you eat lettuce it practically weighs nothing so it wouldnt affect you as bad...you can eat a steak and you might be 2 pds heavier after but it doesnt mean you consumed 7,000 calories
  • SortaBadass
    SortaBadass Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. In order to have actually gained 4 lbs of fat, you'd have had to consume and metabolize 14,000 calories last night... Not likely.

It's more likely that your weight is just naturally fluctuating. Did you have a lot of sodium? That can make you retain more water than you would otherwise.

In short, relax. You didn't gain 4 lbs overnight. If weight fluctuations freak you out, you may wish to switch to only weighing yourself once a day.
  • skeetpea
    skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I agree with the sodium statement. Your body will retain fluid if you eat too much sodium and since the 4lbs happened in one day, I would absolutely guess that is the reason for the gain.

Give yourself a couple of lower sodium days and it should come right off :)
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    Yes, I had my first Mcdonalds in months, was well within my calories and put on 4lb over night. Its sodium, drink plenty of water and it should be gone within a week. Or your scales are slaying up?
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Highly unlikely. Did you drink? Personally, alcohol is not something I gave up when I started dieting (its part of my lifestyle to drink a couple nights a week and I enjoy it so that just something I have to deal with haha) so I have noticed the day after I drink, I usually 'weigh' more. In reality, my hydrations all off, my sodium is everywhere (late night munchies usually, which I finally been able to give up hahaha), and a couple days of hydration and good eats, and Im all better.
  • nalia08
    nalia08 Posts: 252
    Options
    Your body still might be trying to digest the food also. It usually takes 12-24 hours for the waste to past through. Give it one more day and you should be back to normal.....:flowerforyou:
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Water weight from sodium!
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    Same happend to me over my birthday weekend!! It went away in 2 days. I was able to still stick to my goal!