Run as long as possible or Intervals?

Options
jdier
jdier Posts: 110 Member
So, is it more efficient weight-loss wise to run for as long as possible on the treadmill or to do intervals (10 min. running then 5 minutes walking at 3.5 on 8 incline)? I'm trying to lose weight and would love your opinions. =) Thanks!

Replies

• Limeinthecoconut
    Limeinthecoconut Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Intervals as a blanket rule are more efficient, and help with getting your speed and endurance right up there. You want to do high intensity intervals though, eg. run/sprint 1min, jog 3mins, repeat for 20mins. This will allow for the same calories burned as running at a slower speed for a consistent amount of time. But, just do what you feel comfortable with. The important thing is that you are exercising :D!
  • kvr414
    kvr414 Posts: 111
    Options
    From what I understand, interval training is more effective in the rapid breakdown of insulin and fats within the body. Distance running is great for just a nice calorie burn, however, after a while your heart rate won't get high enough to the levels it needs to to really have the benefits of breaking down glycogen, fats, etc. Both intervals and distance training are effective for different reasons, I'm trying to get a routine of doing both, personally.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I actually do a combo. I mean for weight loss, you are just looking at burning calories so one isn't really 'better' than the other- intervals do end up being more efficient (as noted by Tosh). Here's what my running schedule looks like for most weeks:

Interval run 30-45 min
    Long run 1-1.5hrs
    Interval run 30-45 min
    Tempo Run 20-25 min
  • jdier
    jdier Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    So, will running for 20 minutes using intervals burn about the same amount of calories as running for around 40 minutes along with uphill walking?
  • sewsinthesouth
    Options
    A heart rate monitor would be a great tool to help you discover your best calorie burn. If you have a higher heart rate, you are going to burn more calories. So, if you are running slowly or walking and your heart rate is lower, you are not going to burn as many calories on a 40 minute slow run/walking hills. You would get your heart rate up higher and burn more calories with a shorter run, pushing to the max during interval training.

There is a lot of debate over whether you burn more calories from running faster (intervals). You can go to www.runnersworld.com for a lot of info on running. I have found the site very helpful.
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    EbonyGemstoneHealth Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I reckon a combination of both,steady state running and HIIT running is a good combination,alternative days of the week! :D
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    True interval training will burn more calories than straight running. Also remember that all exercises stresses your body which produces the stress hormone cortisol, and as I understand it, the longer you exercise, the higher the cortisol levels get. That is why really long cardio sessions are not a productive as quicker more intense sessions.
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Intervals as a blanket rule are more efficient, and help with getting your speed and endurance right up there. You want to do high intensity intervals though, eg. run/sprint 1min, jog 3mins, repeat for 20mins. This will allow for the same calories burned as running at a slower speed for a consistent amount of time. But, just do what you feel comfortable with. The important thing is that you are exercising :D!

I agree!

I do walking/jog/sprint invtervals
  • GameOn2011
    GameOn2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you really want to ramp things up, run intervals and alternate days with circuits that incorporate strength training with HIT's like jumping jacks and squat thrusts. That is when I really starting seeing the fat melt! And don't forget to take rest days, they are just as important!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    You didn't say how long you have been running. If you are just starting to run, definitely do intervals. As for which burns more calories, it depends on what you do and for how long.

Here's an example for you: I did 2 - 30 min sessions on the TM last night. the first was a quick warm/up cool down and a 2 mile run @ 10:30. Burned about 300 cals. The machine I wanted to get on after my run was not available so I did my "butt blaster," which is walking intervals w/crazy incline. I took the incline all the way up to 18 and walked @ 2.5 pace for 5 mins, then I dropped the incline to 0 and increased the pace to 4.0 for 5 mins. Repeated this 2 more times for a total fo 30 mins. Total burn was 265 cals...so not a lot less in terms of overall calorie burn and I never ran at all.

That being said, I am a runner, and there is no better high for me than an awesome long run!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I also do both.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    HIIT and just plain running both have their place, they are both good tools but when it comes to fat burning you are going to want to have the bulk of your workout geared towards HIIT the benefits last far beyond the workout itself whereas the benefits of long term runs tend to not last more than a few hours afterwards. The reason being that the heart rate never reaches its max efficency, HIIT will train you better than a long distance run in half the time. It releases hormones in the body triggering a greater metabolic change than low intensity workouts ever could. For my HIIT I went from barely running 1 mile to being able to run 5 in just under 48 mins in just 2 months running 3 times per week for under an hour each time. My routine was on the treadmill as it is just to damn cold here to run outside in winter, the treadmill has 1/4 mile laps on it so for the first 1/4 track I would be slow around 3-4 mph then crank it to 9 mph for the remainder of the lap and repeat. Now starting out that may only be at 6-8 mph depending on your fitness level but in my case instead of upping speed I upped the incline to 2.5-3 percent to challenge myself more once I got used to the intervals. You are going to sweat like a beast but its very effective. For those who do not run or like to run the same principle can be applied to swimming or metabolic resistance training. I am currently into a metabolic resistance routine that kicked my butt for the first day and am still recovering on the 2nd day from.
  • paulmmichaud
    paulmmichaud Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    HIIT and just plain running both have their place, they are both good tools but when it comes to fat burning you are going to want to have the bulk of your workout geared towards HIIT the benefits last far beyond the workout itself whereas the benefits of long term runs tend to not last more than a few hours afterwards. The reason being that the heart rate never reaches its max efficency, HIIT will train you better than a long distance run in half the time. It releases hormones in the body triggering a greater metabolic change than low intensity workouts ever could. For my HIIT I went from barely running 1 mile to being able to run 5 in just under 48 mins in just 2 months running 3 times per week for under an hour each time. My routine was on the treadmill as it is just to damn cold here to run outside in winter, the treadmill has 1/4 mile laps on it so for the first 1/4 track I would be slow around 3-4 mph then crank it to 9 mph for the remainder of the lap and repeat. Now starting out that may only be at 6-8 mph depending on your fitness level but in my case instead of upping speed I upped the incline to 2.5-3 percent to challenge myself more once I got used to the intervals. You are going to sweat like a beast but its very effective. For those who do not run or like to run the same principle can be applied to swimming or metabolic resistance training. I am currently into a metabolic resistance routine that kicked my butt for the first day and am still recovering on the 2nd day from.

Good advice/tips there. I just did my version session of HIIT on my treadmill. Did just over 30 minutes walking at 3 mph and then running at 7/7.5/8 mph. 8 was pushing it for me but hey, it's about getting out of your comfort zone right? Man, I don't even wanna know what I will look like after doing this for a few months...hey I might even get ripped LOL.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    There is so much more to this question that can really be given as a one or the other type answer.

Both have thier place in a training regimen.
    You also have to be careful by just saying "interval" training. There is a big difference between running/walking at "intervals" just in order to complete a certain mileage. And running sprint intervals to work on speed.

To get the most out of real interval training, you need a certain level of fitness to get thru the workout. Jumping straight into HIIT is a recipe for disaster, in my opinion. Build a base for a few weeks by running slow & getting in the miles, even if this includes walking intervals, its still going to fall under endurance building.
    Then ease into the HIIT workouts.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I do both myself some days I just dont have it in me for an hour of hard running and I still want that hour in so walk/running or run/jogging is my alternative
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    I recently started with a personal trainer. She told me to do intervals everyother day. On the days I don't do intervals, I powerwalk (3.8 speed all incline above 11.0). Since I'm new to running, she told me not to do the intervals on an incline yet and not to push the speed so that I don't injure my knees. The only thing I don't like is I don't burn as many calories doing intervals as opposed to my powerwalks...kind of annoys me but I guess I will eventually as I build it up to a better speed and a little higher incline above 0.0. But, I also do 30 to 45 mins of circuit training afterwards so that allows more of a calorie burn. Google Couch to 5k for some tips.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    I recently started with a personal trainer. She told me to do intervals everyother day. On the days I don't do intervals, I powerwalk (3.8 speed all incline above 11.0). Since I'm new to running, she told me not to do the intervals on an incline yet and not to push the speed so that I don't injure my knees. The only thing I don't like is I don't burn as many calories doing intervals as opposed to my powerwalks...kind of annoys me but I guess I will eventually as I build it up to a better speed and a little higher incline above 0.0. But, I also do 30 to 45 mins of circuit training afterwards so that allows more of a calorie burn. Google Couch to 5k for some tips.

If you are doing Intervals right, and I am assuming you are, you are probably burning a lot more calories doing them but two factors make that hard to measure. First, the way HRM (and exercise machines for that matter) measure calories. Neither are a direct measure of the calories you burn, instead they use various mathematical formulas to figure it out. In the case of heart rate monitors they look at your heart rate and based on your personal info on height, weight, age, etc, they have a formula to measure stuff, but that at least in part assumes a steady state activity like traditional cardio. Things that don't fit that profile such as weight training or interval training cannot really be effectively measured by a HRM because you are working very intensely for a short period of time with a rest period between them when your heart rate slows down significantly. For the machines, again their calculations don't really take into account bursts of extreme exertion that burns lots of calories. Secondly, normal cardio like your powerwalking only burn calories while you are actually doing them. Intervals, again properly done, will keep burning calories long after you have actually done the workout. In the case of Metabolic Resistance Training, a type of interval training done with weights or body weight resistance exercises, studies have shown an increase in calories burned for up to 38 hours after the exercise was actually done. There is no way a HRM can measure that at all, although maybe a Bodyfit or Bodybugg could. I am guessing the only way to measure that is with very expensive testing equipment. In other words, don't count out your interval calories as lower, because they could be very similar in the big picture, they are just spread out more.