Canned Crab meat ... Looking for ideas

Options
Ashia1317
Ashia1317 Posts: 415
I'm not a seafood person, but I did recently start opening up to crab meat. I have a can at home that needs to be opened, and due to no meat for me on Fridays (Lent), I'd like to use it. Problem is: I have no where to start ...

Anything simple?

Replies

• evandmegsmom
    evandmegsmom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I would mix it with Greek yogurt & spice it up cajun-style. You could even grill it into a crab-cake-like pattie.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    bowl of salad greens, with some canned crab meat on top, sprinkle some herbs and then add balsamic vinegar or seasoned rice vinegar on top. Feel free to add any other veggies you like!! Thats what I do when canned crab meat is on sale.
  • pegeileen
    pegeileen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try low fat or fat free cream cheese on a triscuit. Top with cocktail sauce and crab meat for a nutritious lunch!
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    We mix crab meat into stuffed mushrooms. You could do stuffed portabella's with the crab meat, crushed ritz crackers, seasoned bread crumbs, onion and garlic sauteed in some butter, and a little bit of sherry. You make the stuffing and just bake them in the oven, yummy.

I also use the crab in a hot crab dip. Mayo, Cream cheese, diced onion, hot sauce, lemon juice. Then serve it with melba toasts or crackers.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    bowl of salad greens, with some canned crab meat on top, sprinkle some herbs and then add balsamic vinegar or seasoned rice vinegar on top. Feel free to add any other veggies you like!! Thats what I do when canned crab meat is on sale.

This is what I did yesterday with tuna.
  • Foxworth81
    Foxworth81 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Wow, what great ideas. i would never think to use canned crab meat in these ways. I might have to watch for when it's on sale.
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    These are great ideas!! Thank you everyone! I think I might just have a satisfying lunch tomorrow :happy:
  • cateomalley
    Options
    Weight Watchers has a great crab cake recipe you might want to try ... delicious and super simple to make.
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I like to use it in soup-- you can add it to canned soup to add protein and flavor. I like it in healthy request cream of mushroom.

Or you can make your own seafood chowder-- boil chicken or fish broth, add in some frozen mixed seafood (Trader Joe's/Whole Foods have this), add the crab and some corn and a few spices, and finally when everything has simmered for awhile, add a cup or so of fat free half and half, being sure NOT to boil the milk.