Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey or FPU classes

Options
Has anyone read the book or taken the classes? I just bought the book and am already hooked on it.

MY REAL QUESTION: Have any of you followed these steps and gotten yourself out of debt. I am one of those ppl that feeel like being bedt free is NEVER going to happen. :frown:
I would love to hear from REAL ppl that I know are not affiliated with the book or Dave Ramsey.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME!!!!!

Replies

• themrsbriggs
    themrsbriggs Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i have read the book and LOVE IT!!!! i am car payment and credit card debt FREE because of that book. it's WELL WORTH IT :)
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have read the book and am not debt free but am slowly working on it! Good luck!
  • lexis0911
    lexis0911 Posts: 50
    Options
    I am like you...don't feel that I will ever be able to shout "I AM DEBT FREE"...but I am currently taking a Financial Peace University course and so far I love it...I am on Baby Step 1 and will probably be for some time. I am a single mom, so my income has to cover everything and I usually am stretching things from paycheck to paycheck. But I am trying to change some of my spending habits and how I look at money and Dave's info is really helping with that. I would recommend FPU to anyone who wants to learn more about managing money, or saving.
  • pammilou
    pammilou Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    We just read it last month and are working on it also :)
  • Lsng4good
    Lsng4good Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My dad took the class at his church, loved it and is working on paying off his LAST credit card with the debt snowball. I'm a college student and I took the class at a local church here and Loved it. The only debt I have are student loans, but currently I use the envelope system and it really helps me! Best of Luck! If you stick to it, you can't help but have Financial Freedom! :)
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!

I just read the book and listened to the Podcasts. I've successfully gone through all the steps - bought a new car with cash and have a minimally Fully Funded Emergency Fund. I plan on upping my Fully Funded Emergency Fund this year and then start on BS6 (I have BS5 ongoing done). During the process I also refinanced to a 15 year mortgage.

I can't remember the exact number that I had in debt - but it was enough I had a break down in the Wal Mart parking lot about it --- I think it was close to 30,000 - took me about a year - maybe a little less. But I was VERY gazelle about it and cut everything to the bare bones.

If all goes as planned, I'll have the house paid off in about 7 years (mathematically it is 6 -- but I know some stuff will come up)
  • CrystalS
    CrystalS Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    YES!!! We went through the class and thoroughly enjoyed it. You know if you take the class, you become a member for a lifetime? We found where a church in the area was doing the class and signed up. As a lifetime member you can attend a class again anytime for free and have free access to the online helps, too.

We had a suburban payment at the time. We got the loan for 64 months and through Dave Ramsey's "system" we just sent in our last payment 19 months after getting our suburban. Couldn't be happier!!!!!! :bigsmile:

Most people would laugh at our monthly salary. It's well below poverty level, but we have everything we **need**. We don't live outlandish, or above our means, but we never go without, even with five kids!

Highly recommend it!!!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!!!!!!!! I love Dave Ramsey!! I haven't taken the course, but my brother's church (he's a pastor) did and my Mom's church did as well. My hubby and I read the book about 3 years ago now and we are totally debt free other than our house. :bigsmile: (which we refinanced at a lower rate to a 15 year loan and are already on track to pay it off WAY early!!)

Debt free is the way to live!! I always tell people that dieting and budgeting go hand in hand. Both things take major discipline but the results are well worth it!!

Good luck!!! :drinker:
  • itsalifestylebaby
    itsalifestylebaby Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard of this before, but based on this thread, I just bought it for my Kindle on the Droid, so I'll start it tonight. Thanks!

I also saw a post about a podcast, so I'll be loading that up to my iTunes tonight.

Thanks so much for this post, I'm in the same boat as you and this really gives me hope!
  • janna674
    janna674 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I did over 2 years ago..me and richie have paid over 18000 off in debt and now only owe the IRS and one small card left and of course the house! i love dave ramsey and living debt free!
  • ladyjh578
    ladyjh578 Posts: 207
    Options
    I did over 2 years ago..me and richie have paid over 18000 off in debt and now only owe the IRS and one small card left and of course the house! i love dave ramsey and living debt free!
    you did...OMG- good to know. I am drowning in debt. We have land BUT will never get a mortgage for new home unless we get rid of some debt. I feel so terrible cuz we need to get out of where we are and I feel like it's my fault we have all this debt. IF I COULD ONLY CHANGE THE PAST!!!!
    I may be bugging u for info or advice. Be prepared!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • JTBung
    JTBung Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My husband & I listened to the radio show for about a year, then one day we just decided to do it. We bought the TMM book and started following Dave's plan. It's funny - I always thought I was the free-thinker when it came to spending money and my husband was the miser... we've since learned that the opposite is actually true!
    We started Dave's plan in March 09; in 18 months we were debt free (except the house), and the emergency fund will be fully funded at the end of this month!! Next we start saving for new (to us) cars and our next house down payment.
    Follow the steps - they totally work!!
  • happinessblossoms
    happinessblossoms Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    bump
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    wanted to add - just like dieting - it's a lifetime thing.

Just because I'm on BS6 -- I still do a budget every month and track everything and do cash system for daily expenses. You will ALWAYS have to work the system or you'll find yourself back in the same place. So, if you aren't ready to make the lifestyle change, don't jump in now.
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    DH and I have been following DR for 3.5 years. It has changed our life and I am so thankful we found it early in our marriage (only a few months in). We started with TMMO and went through FPU later. We expect to be finished with BS2 this year, which will free us of 101k in debt. :blushing: We have had many roadblocks over this period of time, including a child custody case, back taxes for IRS & state, a pregnancy, a broken A/C unit, minor auto repairs, and me being unemployed for a year. We cash flowed ALL of it. We own two paid for cars with 110k miles and 194k miles and refinanced our house last fall. We currently have paid off $86k in debt in this period of time.

The plan works, if you work the plan. :bigsmile:
  • Mel_MisFit_Mae
    Mel_MisFit_Mae Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    THAT'S WHY I LOVE THIS SITE ITS ABOUT A HEATHLY LIFESTYLE AND THAT INCLUDES FINANCIALLY.........

I'M TAKING FPU AT MY CHURCH RIGHT NOW ......I'M ONLY ON BABY STEP ONE, BUT WORKING TOWARDS MY GOAL, THE CLASS HAS GIVING MY SSOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH KNOWLEDGE, CONFIDENCE AND MOST IMPORANTLY A PLAN. I HAVE MEET POEPLE THROUGH THIS CLASS THAT HAVE BEEN SET FREE AND ARE TOTALLY DEBT FREE.......... AND STEP BY STEP MY FAITH IS INCRESEING AND **I BELEIVE**

THE PRINCIPLES YOU LEARN REALLY MAKE SENSE *******I LOVE IT********

*********Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results........

......... For the time being no discipline brings joy, but seems grievous and painful; but afterwards it yields a peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it [a harvest of fruit which consists in righteousness--in conformity to God's will in purpose, thought, and action, resulting in right living and right standing with God].
    Hebrews 12:11
  • jpburcham
    jpburcham Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I know that this is an older post, but I've got to chime in here.
    I've coordinated 8 FPU classes, and had 175 people or so attend these 8 classes.
    I've seem what can happen when people get motivated to change.

I'm also a "Certified Dave Ramsey Counselor" - Yep - Went to Nashville, Drank the cool-aid and took the training.

Anyone want to chat - Add me as a friend - or shoot me a message .
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    What an excellent thread! We actually just bought the FPU course and will be starting it next week. The success stories are as motivating in the finance sector as they are in the weight loss!
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    yep! i love Dave Ramsey! Check out the website mytotalmoneymakeover.com
    so many people will argue the methods but like he always says "if we were doing math we wouldnt be in debt".

I have my car payment and my house to pay off. I havent been very focused on that for a while but his basic teachings are always on my mind.

Thanks for bringing this up. I needed the reminder

P.S. on mytotalmoneymakeover.com im also known as boomboom. hit me up!
  • bluevwgurl
    bluevwgurl Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Not completely debt free yet, but my husband and I just paid off another large bill this month because of Dave Ramseys "process". 2 car payments, 2 large credit cards and 2 store credit cards in 3 years. 9 years worth of debt. it works!