Workout intensity for fat loss...

2»

Replies

• Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    A calorie isn't a calorie? all calories are not the same?
    I thought 1 calorie was the amount of energy required to raise 1 Litre of water 1 Degree C, I guess you learn somthing new every day. :-)
  • there's certainly some interesting info on here, thanks!

It's something I've wondered for a long time and I have to admit I'm the type who does the high intensity stuff all the time, my fat burning rate seems to be so slow!

I've just invested in a HRM to track calories burned more accurately so may well have a go at the lower HR workouts after reading some of the articles attached to this topic
  • cazzincali
    cazzincali Posts: 337 Member
    You can burn more fat at lower intensities. But at higher intensities you will burn more calories overall and still have a higher percentage of fat calories burned overall. It's good to have a combination of both lower intensity longer sessions and high intensity shorter sessions. I personally prefer the higher intensity shorter sessions. (HIIT's are great)

You want to burn off some fat? Heavy weight lifting. You won't bulk up. Diet and cardio cause muscle mass loss along with fat loss. (We can't 'tone' muscles. They won't get harder or tighter. They will only get bigger and/or stronger or weaker and/or smaller). When you lose muscle mass your metabolism slows and you burn less calories through normal daily activity.

Increasing muscle mass will increase your metabolism and you will burn more fat during rest and daily activity AND even while sleeping. (And you will get to eat more calories in the day because of this). Of course you still want to do some cardio too.

Read up on a link in my signature: "An email Response that Might Help Some...". TrainerRobin explains it really, really well.

AT higher HR levels the percentage of FAT burn is MUCH lower.
  • cazzincali
    cazzincali Posts: 337 Member
    I'm still confused.

My HR feels "right" at about 160-165. That is really up there - my "max" is 182. I don't know what to think. I certainly don't want to burn off muscle.

You won't burn off muscle. You will be burning off carbs. So you will crave high carb foods post workout. But the idea is for the body to use fat stores for energy...
This discussion has been closed.