Running slower than 5mph?

Options
When I go on a run I generally run quite slowly and I am guessing it is just under 5mph. However when I use MFP to calculate my exercise calories there is no option for running under 5mph. Can anyone suggest anything for me? For today I have taken off 150 calories of my exercise calories just to be sure!

Thank you for any help or advice!

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Enter it as walking; walking has many speed options up to 4 mph.
  • amberpaigee
    Options
    I just worked out that I actually run roughly 5.4 miles an hour! Quite shocked! I couldn't find a way to delete this post though when I found out :(

Thank you for your help anyway!
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options

Running, even @ 4mph, will burn more calories than walking @ the same speed. Running takes more effort than walking due to have periods of flight.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options

Running, even @ 4mph, will burn more calories than walking @ the same speed. Running takes more effort than walking due to have periods of flight.

I entered it at 4mph walking and it worked out ok. Now I run 5-6mph so its all more accurate but they're all only estimates anyway.
  • ColleenK75
    Options
    Maybe you could enter fewer minutes than you actually run, to account for running slower?

I'm not sure if the math works out for this...but if you figure you are running around 4.5 mph, that is 90% of 5 mph - so what if you entered 90% of the time you run for and put it in the 5 mph box.

It's tricky to figure out how fast you are running when you aren't on a treadmill but if you search "running bpm" you can get all kinds of sites that suggest music to listen to while you are running that keeps you at a constant pace, of course it is all dependent on how long your stride is - my running music is considered fast for my mph rate because I have short legs!