Calories for Weight Training?

charity94
charity94 Posts: 5 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
After I enter my weight training exercises the report shows that I have not burned any calories nor does it register the time I exercised. However, it calculates my cardio and the calories burned. Am I entering my weight training incorrectly? Thanks for you help!

Replies

• ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    I noticed the same thing the other day.... hmmmm?
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    I was wondering about that too
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    log it under cardio, it will read the cal burn but I recommend getting a heart rate monitor as it will give you a more accurate burn even mfp numbers can be off it depends on the person.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    enter "strength training" in the cardio section, and the time how long you worked out.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    The reason it doesn't is because there are too many variables,
    were you lifting to your max?
    What amount of weight?
    How many reps?
    How many sets?
    were you doing cable machines or free weights(yes there is a difference)

these are all variables that come up when you lift weights... so MFP has a hard time figuring out the calories burned... I enter mine in under CARDIO EXERCISE as strenght training.... and if I work out for a half hour I add 100 calories... as a low and generalized number... unless you have a HR moniter its hard to get accurate numbers.
  • DeadZip2010
    DeadZip2010 Posts: 111 Member
    if you enter your stuff under strength training it does not calulate calories burned, but if you enter in under cardio and search for strength training you can long how long you worked out and it will give you a calorie burned.
    watch out though, i do my weight training with pretty short rest peroids and use my HRM to watch my calorie burn, and it is always higher than what MFP says it would be.
  • charity94
    charity94 Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks everyone for all of the input! It does make sense that there are too many variables per person; weight, exertion, etc. I'll wear my HR monitoring during strength training for accuracy.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.