girl scout cookies vs the scale

Options
I was a girl scout for 13 years, so when someone in the office asked if I wanted to buy any, I said "samoas and thin mints" without even thinking about my diet.
It's OK though. everything in moderation.
I divided them in to individual servings. each ziplock bag is 150 calories and I put them all in the freezer, it should last me a long time.

Replies

• Sallysue211
    Options
    Good for you! I just did the same got the cookies and told my self it would only be a treat and made sure I stuck with the serving size and didn't over indulge!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I would just donate the full box value to the troop --this way they make more money, and you get less calories - LOL
  • stephriley
    Options
    I allow myself one sometimes two girl scout cookies a day (forgot I even ordered them, and they can to the door with them last week). Then I feel like I have got a little something sweet, but didn't over do it. I think if I completely deprived myself of them, I would break one day and eat a whole box. Putting them in baggies is a way good idea!
  • MarieRich
    MarieRich Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Caramel DeLites only come around once a year! I am going to Ziplock them like you did and make them last until next year. Great tip!
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Ughghghghhh #$@%^ Samoas!! Great idea about the pre-portions, though...!
  • jeby8
    jeby8 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My favorite Girl Scout cookies are Caramel Delights and I was pleasantly surprised that 1 cookies is only 70 calories. It's not GREAT but it's a lot less than I originally thought. I bought 7 boxes, yes 7 boxes before I started my diet. I've done so well with it, I can't even believe it. I used to eat a whole box in one sitting and now if I allow myself 2-3 a day, I am satisfied and don't touch them again!
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing, but instead of dividing them up, I ate two cookies and made my skinny boys eat the rest. Didn't take long, there isn't much in them boxes.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I still have some in the freezer from last year...but that is because they are still in the box and I know if I take them out, the box will disappear in one day! I like the idea of putting them in 150 calorie packages!!!! Thanks for the suggestion...and it will be my kids eating most of the cookies...but I still want them to know about portions!
  • workoutqueen628
    Options
    I would set aside a couple servings of each kind for YOU and then give the rest away!! That's what I would do- because sugar is my downfall, once I have a little, I crave it everyday. But maybe just keep them stowed away in a place where you don't see them everyday & will forget about them/ only eat them when you crave them.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I was also a Brownie, then a Girl Scout, for years so I like to support them as well. I typically bring them into work to share the calories with everyone else!
  • blondie1238
    blondie1238 Posts: 182
    Options
    I bought a box for home and one for work... threw the one for work out on the table and let everyone go at it :wink: Then I took the one for home and threw it in my freezer. Out of sight, out of mind. So far, I've only had 2, the first day I brought them home! Works everytime! The last for months that way, for me!
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    26 cals each: http://www.food.com/recipe/girl-scout-chocolate-mint-cookies-copycat-146492

Taste like the real thing! But I love your portion idea :happy:
  • Dutchgirly
    Dutchgirly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    omg last night at that grocery stores those cute little girlscouts totally shook me down, i bought 2 boxes. they're just so good- and i feel like i should support the girlscouts because i used to be one!
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    that is a great idea, I usually stick my thin mints in the freezer because I think they taste even better frozen . . . but the individual serving opiton is a great idea. . . since my previous portion size was the whole sleeve. :)
  • mercham3
    mercham3 Posts: 2
    Options
    I just bought a box of Kellogs Fiber Plus granola bars--the new Caramel Coconut Fudge ones. They taste like a Samoa.
  • Poehlerbear1983
    Options
    I bought 2 boxes of thin mints BEFORE I started my diet. I like the idea of putting them in baggies. But I might also just give both my boys each a box in thier Easter basket this year instead of me eating them. We will see how I feel when I actually have them in my custody lol.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I just bought a box of Kellogs Fiber Plus granola bars--the new Caramel Coconut Fudge ones. They taste like a Samoa.

They totally do! I get Hungry Girl e-mails and she recommended them! Soooooo good and they taste exactly like them! (and no need to feet guilty bc it's a fiber bar) :D
    looking forward to it as my afternoon snack
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    My husband just bought two boxes of thin mints and a box of samoas. He hid them somewhere, which is fine by me. I ate two thin mints the other day. It's not too bad for calories if you just have a wee bit. I'm glad they're hidden, though. Sheesh.
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    My Girl Scout cookies are coming this weekend and when I ordered them I didn't even think about it because EVERY year we order tons of them. I think I am going to steal your idea. I am going to take a serving (or two) out of every box we ordered and put them in the freezer for me , myself and I because I know if I don't do this they will be gone before I get any. My kids and husband will eat at least one box or more by themselves in one sitting :frown:
  • DeeBee24
    DeeBee24 Posts: 4
    Options
    26 cals each: http://www.food.com/recipe/girl-scout-chocolate-mint-cookies-copycat-146492

Taste like the real thing! But I love your portion idea :happy:

I have a bake sale next week and I was dreading making anything. These look so good and so easy! Thanks so much for posting!! I know these will be a big hit! :-)