Whats for dinner?!

Options
Ok so tonight I am going to dinner with my family for my Moms birthday.. She chose for us to go to Margaritas Mexican Restaurant. I checked online and they have no nutritional info and from what I gather they do not have it in the restaurant either. I have no clue what to eat! So Im looking for some advice on how to not completly blow my entire night...any suggestions. You have 5 hours until I leave to go to the restaurant!... Brainstorm Ready.. Go...

Oh ps... Id love a drink tonight...

Replies

• MMarcordes
    MMarcordes Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I always order the fajita - but don't eat the tortilla, or the sour cream or rice. I just eat off the sizzling pan - all the meat and vegies. I'm sure the oil is pretty fattening, but it always seems like the healthiest alternative. Check the menu for 'skinny drinks', too! I'm finding more and more that they have skinny-ritas for 100 calories or so.
  • paigebeverly
    paigebeverly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Maybe even a chicken taco salad without the shell...and no sour cream or rice.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Be carefu of all the cheese in many mexican dishes. I like the taco salad (without cheese) with added chicken and load it up with Pico de Gallo and top it off with a light beer with a wedge of lime . . . makes me think im on a mexcan vacation.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Most importantly............PUSH AWAY that bowl of chips that they bring out before the meal. Once you start munching on them, they are hard to stop. Personally I would eat a salad and broiled chicken before I went and just order a margarita and enjoy the company you are with.
  • MadeToCraveHIM
    MadeToCraveHIM Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Maybe a grilled chicken fajita salad or a chicken quesadila w/o sour cream. The biggest thing is to not eat the chips & salsa they usually serve at the table! Always my downfall :bigsmile:
  • forty3fab
    forty3fab Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Chicken or shrimp fajitas! Hold the cheese and sour cream, or at least use it sparingly. Another way t cut some calories is to eat them off the platter and skip the tortillas! Mostly, and what I find the hardest...skipping the chips! I can never skip the beverage section either! Mexican food is my favorite...Enjoy your dinner!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Avoid tortillas! The first time I looked at the fat percentage on a standard tortilla I about died... and found out where are those extra pounds were coming from (LOVES mexican food).

The fajitas suggestion is a good one. You can also ask for a taco salad, without the shell.
  • crebbe
    crebbe Posts: 18
    Options
    I've found many Mexican restaurants have a healthy, filling Chicken Tortilla Soup! Of course this varies by restaurant but I have encountered many thin broths with loads of veggies and lean meat!

Stay away from the chips and salsa, too hard to limit or track with all the free refills!

Good luck!