I'm debating these two HRM; feedback please

Options
Okay so!

I have narrowed my search down to two different Heart Rate Monitors. One that I have heard alot of good things about on this site (Polar Ft7F) and the other that has those same features but includes GPS which I really like the idea of for when i'm not on a treadmill (Garmin Forerunner 305)

I'm hoping that i can find users on here that i have either and can answer my below questions.

In reviews users seem very happy with both, but i wanted to know two things:

1. is the chest strap for the polar ft7 comfortable? any problems with malfunction?
2. for the Garmin 305 does it work INDOORs? i want to have the option to run inside or out.

For everyone else just reading up on HRM information, here is the 411 on the two that I'm looking at:

Polar FT7F:

Features
Features: PC-Downloading Capability, Daily Alarm, LCD Display, Target Zone Alarms, High and Low Limit Alarms, Backlit Display, Wireless, Freeze Frame Memory
Used For: Personal Fitness, Walking, Recreational Rider, General Fitness, Fitness Training
Display Indicators: Continuous Heart Rate, Clock, Heart Rate, Calories Burned, Daily Workout Memory
Manufacturer Suggested Age: 10 Years and Up
Includes: Chest Strap
Protective Qualities: Water Resistant
Care and Cleaning: Wipe Clean
Dimensions: Height: 1.0 "; Length: 8.25 "; Width: 1.4 "
Product Weight: 0.5 Lb.
Warranty Description: 2 Year Limited Warranty

Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS Receiver With Heart Rate Monitor:

Features
2-piece training assistant that continuously monitors your speed, distance, pace, calories burned and heart rate so you can train smarter
Robust wireless heart rate monitor helps you train in your target zone to optimize performance; no cross talk
Features a highly sensitive GPS receiver that provides faster acquisition times and improves tracking under trees and near tall buildings
Multi-sport capability lets you seamlessly transition between sports without resetting the unit, so you can use it for running, biking and more
Mobile GPS Features: High-Sensitivity GPS Receiver, Auto Scroll, Auto Pause
Mapping Features: Routes
Points of Interest: 0
Number of Waypoints: 100
Display Size: 1.3 "
Screen Resolution: 160 x 240
Fitness Features: Simple Workouts, Bike Speed/Cadence Sensor, Pace Alert, Heart Rate Monitor, Interval Training, Time And Distance Alert, Foot Pad
Emergency Call Device: No
Battery Life: Up to 10 Hours
WAAS Enabled: Yes
Includes: USB Cable, User Manual
Dimensions: Length: 2.7 "; Width: 2.1 "; Depth: 0.7 "
Product Weight: 0.17 Lb.
Warranty Description: 1 Year Limited Manufacturer Warranty

Thanks so much in advance everyone! I hope this also proves usefull for others in the market

Replies

• Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar and would always trust that brand.
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have a polar and used it on and off for years when it needs replacing I will replace with another Polar
  • kt_rubino
    kt_rubino Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I also have a Polar (And LOVE it) but I dont run outside.
  • JoJo1953
    JoJo1953 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have the polar ft7 and love it, and I don't even notice the chest band when I'm wearing it!! :smile:
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I just got the FT7 myself. The chest strap is much more comfortable that the other straps I have tried, I like the data tracking on the FT7, I do not like that I need a $55 'docking station' for the data to get to their website. My buddy is a runner and highly recommends the Garmin products for tracking routes, distance and just about anything a runner would need. Not sure if they need a docking station too. I might get a Garmin once I get to a weight where I can run without killing my knees.
  • MissAllison
    Options
    I have a polar (FT60) and love it. The chest strap is comfortable - I often forget I'm wearing it.
    I don't know anything about the other brand you mentioned with the GPS. Are the prices comparable?
    FYI: I know that with my FT60 you can add some type of device (clips on to your shoe I think) that can track your distance if you are running outside.
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar. I'll get you the details when I get home. I like it and it works very well. I don't know to much about them. I can use it in and out, it shows total cals, time spent on workout, total fitness and fatburning time. Your high HR, low HR and avg HR,

I wish there was a way to download all the info soyou could keep track. I believe all the info is stored but not sure.
  • kamechaf
    kamechaf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THX!
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and I really like it, but I haven't used any others for comparison. The chest strap is completely comfortable; in fact, I rarely notice it's there as it goes right around the same spot as the band on my sports bra. The watch face is bigger than I'd like it to be. I haven't worn a watch in years, so I guess I'm just not used to it. I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of the HRM as it always seems to reflect what would be reasonable for the activity I'm performing. I do not have the Flowlink adapter to upload data to my PC as I think the additional $60 it would cost is too pricey.

Now, while I'm very happy with my FT7, I recently started running outside, and I do think the GPS feature of the Garmin would come in handy. I run with my phone, so I have Runkeeper installed on my phone and that tracks my route via GPS, but having just one device to do everything would be more convenient.