Eat Stop Eat????

Options
I have read up on this and like the idea and believe I can do this, BUT, I do not do hard exercises. I walk @2-3 miles 2x a week. Was just wondering if this would still work for me???? Any help would be apprecated. Thank you and have a blessed day.

Replies

• get_it_gone2012
    Options
    Well, technically eat stop eat is just not eating from dinner to dinner once or twice a week right? And you're just supposed to keep up with your regular routine. I'd say give it a try and see if you have success! :)
  • kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you read the entire program by Brad Pilon he STRONGLY recommends (really mandates) that you do strength training if you're going to do eat stop eat. This is what prevents you from losing muscle. I would tell you exactly what he says about it, but I'm scared it would be a copywrite violation since he actually charges for the e-book.
  • sarahlauren18
    sarahlauren18 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this??
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have been looking into this too. I can fast easily so I know that part of it won't be a problem for me. Plus I like to strength train. Let me know what you find out. I sent you a friend request!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Well, technically eat stop eat is just not eating from dinner to dinner once or twice a week right? And you're just supposed to keep up with your regular routine. I'd say give it a try and see if you have success! :)

Correct....bascally it is just a 24 hour fast. I have played around wtih them in the past and I would like to incoporate them more often. But I am in the middle of training for a couple of long races right now and it is hard for me to find a day where it fits into my training schedule.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Sounds gimmicky to me...

It looks like you just joined MFP last month, and it is common to look for "FASTER" ways to lose weight. I would just stick with the plan and let the weight come off slowly and naturally. Don't rush the process. You didn't put the weight on on 2 months, so don't try to lose it that fast.
  • RMinVA
    Options
    Here is Brad Pilon's website. I also subscribe to his newsletter/blog.

http://bradpilon.com/
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Sounds gimmicky to me...

It looks like you just joined MFP last month, and it is common to look for "FASTER" ways to lose weight. I would just stick with the plan and let the weight come off slowly and naturally. Don't rush the process. You didn't put the weight on on 2 months, so don't try to lose it that fast.

I agree. Fasting, cleansing, calorie cycling, etc. isn't all that great for your body and your long term health. Just eat a healthy balanced diet, drink lots of water, exercise (both cardio and strength training) and the weight will come off. It may not come off as quickly as you'd like, but you need to remember that your health is the most important thing, not rapid weight loss or being skinny.
  • queenofgracey
    Options
    Thank you, I have to agree with you on this. Guess I am trying to get into the bathing suit for summer LOL. I plan on uping my workout but have not done it yet. Seems I have something to work on uh?
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Remember that MFP is not just about losing weight (although it is the final result). The process of counting calories and tracking physical activity, over time, trains you about the relationship they have with your body. Therefore, with a longer process and positive results you will be less likely to put the weight back on.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I have to agree with you on this. Guess I am trying to get into the bathing suit for summer LOL. I plan on uping my workout but have not done it yet. Seems I have something to work on uh?

I know everyone is different, but I've found that for me, exercise is more important than a calorie deficit. Because of my genetics my body is prone to going into starvation mode at a much higher amount of calories than others. The exercise is what keeps my metabolism going. So many people, including personal trainers will tell you that your diet is the number one factor in weight loss and I'm sure that's true to the extent that eating healthy foods is better for your body than junk food. But, you need exercise!

I know how you feel about having a goal you want to meet. It looks like you're wanting to lose about the same amount that I do, so I know how frustrating it is. You just want it all gone NOW! But, unfortunately, that's not how it works. I figured it would take about a year for me to lose all the weight if I lost about 1 pound per week. I felt that was a realistic time frame that would keep me on track but would also allow for some indulging now and then. There's no sense in being super strict and miserable for that amount of time, I'll have a cupcake every week or two if I want one!

So just be patient. I know it's frustrating. Just take some time to figure out what works best for your body and know that you'll need to adjust things as you go. Change your exercise routine about once a month so your body doesn't get used to it. Experiment with different amounts of calories (stick with one number for about two weeks) to see what is best for your body and metabolism. I did that and found out that I need around 1500 calories a day plus exercise calories, and as long as I go to the gym 5 days a week I'll generally lose 1-1.5 pounds per week, sometimes even 2 pounds. But if I get less than that I won't lose at all no matter how much I exercise or what I eat.
  • RMinVA
    Options
    Sounds gimmicky to me...

I agree. Fasting, cleansing, calorie cycling, etc. isn't all that great for your body and your long term health. Just eat a healthy balanced diet, drink lots of water, exercise (both cardio and strength training) and the weight will come off. It may not come off as quickly as you'd like, but you need to remember that your health is the most important thing, not rapid weight loss or being skinny.

There is a lot of be said for calorie cycling: it has worked for a lot of people, but it is a lot more diet analysis than I want to get into.

I am normally not a fan of gimmicks, cleansers, fads etc. but "eat stop eat" is pretty straigh forward....you go for a 24 hour period without eating. No crazy concoctions to drink or supplements to take.. You can start your "fast" at any point during the day. When have done them in the past, I start after lunch or an early dinner. By the next day's lunch or dinner, I am eating again.