Why Do My Hands Swell Up When I Walk

Options
I had this question because my hands get swollen after I ran or walk more than 30 min. Here is an article I found, written by a doctor.

What you are describing is common. It’s likely related to vasodilation, which means that blood vessels are opening up, leading to increased blood flow near the surface of the skin. Increased blood flow just under the skin makes the face pink or red and it may cause puffiness of the hands.

Contrary to popular belief, getting red in the face during exercise does not mean you are out of shape.

Vasodilation may occur as one of the body’s ways of regulating temperature. Releasing heat generated by exercise is important, as it allows the body to maintain normal temperature.

Even before working up a sweat (another means of releasing heat), the blood vessels near the skin tend to dilate. This allows more heat to be released from the blood as body temperature rises during exercise.

There may be other explanations for puffy hands during or after exercise:

An exaggerated, normal reflex. During exercise, blood flow to exercising muscles increases. In an effort to maintain circulation to other parts of the body (including the hands), blood vessels may dilate. In some people this reflex is more pronounced than others.
Trapped fluid. During exercise, there is increased circulation throughout the body. While the legs have large muscles that work hard during many exercises and that help “pump” this added blood flow through the veins, the arms have smaller muscles and they may not be working as hard during a workout (for example, while jogging). If the hands are held below the level of the heart, the added fluid must travel against gravity. Together, these factors make it harder for the fluid to return to the heart. The extra fluid that is “trapped” in the hands can cause puffiness.
Once you cool down and the circulation and blood vessels return to normal, your hands and the color of your face should return to normal. If your rings are tight after exercise, it’s probably a good idea to take them off before you start working out.

Your hand swelling and facial redness may be annoying but they are unlikely to be due to anything serious. Think of them as small prices to pay to stay in shape and avoid overheating.

Replies

• Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing.
  • shayken2
    shayken2 Posts: 2
    Options
    Wow thanks:smile:
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Thanks. This happens to me and I always wondered what caused it. I was actually thinking about keeping my arms up in the air as I walked to see if it would stop....lol!
  • jgkimo
    jgkimo Posts: 61
    Options
    Something that I have been curious about....Thanks.
  • Lorelei19
    Lorelei19 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    This happens in my feet too. It's interesting that you posted this, though. I just asked my BF yesterday about it. lol
  • Lexka222
    Lexka222 Posts: 2
    Options
    thanks I had been wondering about that myself
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • anemoneflynn
    Options
    Bump
  • soothingmocha
    soothingmocha Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks I really needed this! I've been asking this question forever.......:wink:
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I just asked this question today!! I thought something was wrong with me, haha